Please edumacate me about PT

NL5

Unpossible!
OK, after a trip up to London Bridge Studios, I have a keen interest to learn Pro Tools. What I need to know is - a) what's the cheapest way to be able to edit drums with Beat Detective (no recording/mixing necessary) (I'm thinking Mbox Micro and PT LE) b) what's the cheapest way to get a full protools setup and be able to use my hardware(don't need converters & would prefer to buy older used whatever I need to run PT)

Thanks!

either an Mbox 2 micro which will come with LE ($250). But obviously you only get 1/8" output and no inputs
Next you'll have the Mbox 2 mini with LE ($300). You'll get two analog inputs (one pre) and a stereo output for monitors

There's the M-Audio options too, but since you have to purchase the software separate it will cost you a bit more.

Regard the "full" PT setup...what exactly do you mean? HD? Or just something that will support what you already have? What IS your current setup? The cheapest option is above...but grows depending on what you need.

Regard the "full" PT setup...what exactly do you mean? HD? Or just something that will support what you already have? What IS your current setup? The cheapest option is above...but grows depending on what you need.

Yeah, whatever you call the full version.

I have RME RayDAT/HDSP 9652's hooked up to Apogee converters. I just want to use them if possible. Can I just buy an Accel card? Sorry, I am completely Pro Tools illiterate. Loved Beat Detective though.

Yeah, whatever you call the full version.

I have RME RayDAT/HDSP 9652's hooked up to Apogee converters. I just want to use them if possible. Can I just buy an Accel card? Sorry, I am completely Pro Tools illiterate. Loved Beat Detective though.

wait until you try Elastic Audio...pretty much takes the place of Beat detective :)

unfortunately you won't be able to use your PCI cards. That's the downside to Pro Tools and it's proprietary hardware. However, you should be able to use your converters. What box(es) do you have? I'm trying to look it up so I can give you some suggestions. How many channels of I/O do you need?

The simplest option (for 8 channels of optical) is gonna be a 003 or used 002.
If you need more than that a REALLY cheap option would be the M-Audio ProFire Light Bridge: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFireLightbridge.html
For $400 you get 32 channels of simultaneous inputs. Add PT M-Powered for 250 and you should be ready to go.

If you want to go Pro Tools HD we're talking about a BIG price jump. You'll probably spend around $10,000+ depending on what you need. If that price point doesn't scare you, let me know and I can suggest some options.

given that you have the apogees i think you May be able to get into it with just one of the symphony cards... which apogge do you have??

If you are going to go the Pro Tools LE route, you'll need to buy Music Production Toolkit 2 to get the Multitrack beat detective. It's pretty hard to use it on drums otherwise.

Back