Playing an SD card in a different model system

Never tried that, BUT! ... The two DPs use the same formats for partitioning their cards : FAT 32 for saving songs. I would bet they could be swapped with no problems.

And if for some reason it won't work by just swapping, you could just transfer the 008's SD to your computer, then to the 03's SD card.

Thanks for your response! Would you happen to know if the internal file types are the same?

The audio files might be the same, but there is often a "project file" in the folder which contains things like fader settings, effects used, etc. That tells the recorder all the system settings for that project. If the DP-008 and DP03 don't have the same functionalities then it's possible that the system settings scheme might be different.

Near as I can tell, they both utilize the same file names/systems as well as partitions. I have no documentation, just going by what's described in the manuals.

After doing a bit of reading, it appears that the only way to know if the two systems are compatible will be to try it and post the results. All the raw audio data and settings are in the MTR partition, which apparently, no computer understands. Hence the need for a FAT partition where audio files can be exported and viewed by a computer.

Frankly this seems like a really strange system. By contrast, the Zoom R24 simply creates a folder and dumps raw wave files along with a setup file into the folder.
Here's an example of the Zoom R24 file structure:
Zoom project format.jpgZoom Project audio.jpg

Accessing the audio files is as simple as dragging them to a computer folder and dropping them (which is what I did here).

Further researching on the Tascam Forum, someone has swapped the cards between a DP006 and a DP-03SD and the songs did show up. Going from the DP-03 to the 006, the song showed up but only showed 4 tracks, which makes perfect sense since the DP006 is a 4 track machine.

When you save a song in Samplitude a collection of files is saved IF you "Save Complete VIP" but if you just want the audio you can "Export as" .wav, MP3 and many other configurations and set the parameters for each.
I would guess therefore if you can "save as" or "export as" .wav to the card it will play on anything that will play .wavs?

Dave.

This is different from what Samplitude is doing.

The Tascams have a somewhat unique way of recording. The SD card has two types different partitions, much as you could do on a computer to have an NTFS and a FAT32 partition on the same drive. The MTR partition holds all the native audio and effects settings in a special format. This partition is not readable by any computer. From the things I've read, they do this to handle data more efficiently than writing to FAT.

If you want to move audio to a computer, you must first load the project, then do an export to the FAT partition where is becomes a standard type audio file.. Your computer will now be able to read the file.

This is different from what Samplitude is doing.

The Tascams have a somewhat unique way of recording. The SD card has two types different partitions, much as you could do on a computer to have an NTFS and a FAT32 partition on the same drive. The MTR partition holds all the native audio and effects settings in a special format. This partition is not readable by any computer. From the things I've read, they do this to handle data more efficiently than writing to FAT.

If you want to move audio to a computer, you must first load the project, then do an export to the FAT partition where is becomes a standard type audio file.. Your computer will now be able to read the file.
I see Rich. I was talking about this with my son on Skype about this last night. He has a Tascam DR-40X and that of course has an internal SD card. I asked him if he had ever tried it in his laptop to copy files. He has not, he simply links the recorder to laptop via USB and the former 'looks like' a Mass Storage Device and he can just dump off the audio as .wav files.

So, is his DR storing data on the card in its own odd way but then the PC or something else is turning the files to .wav?

Dave.

I don't have a DR recorder, but from what I have read, that one actually records to a standard SD FAT table, so it's completely readable by a computer.

It seems that it's the DP Portastudios that use the unusual file formatting. I would also think that it would be somewhat wasteful of the SD card memory (although that's not so much of an issue anymore with the high capacities and low prices). With my R-24 Zoom, I can record 6 straight hours at 44.1/16 with 8 channels. It fills a 16 GB card. With the Tascam MTR/FAT format, you can't use the entire card for recording because it would leave you no room to export!

Further researching on the Tascam Forum, someone has swapped the cards between a DP006 and a DP-03SD and the songs did show up. Going from the DP-03 to the 006, the song showed up but only showed 4 tracks, which makes perfect sense since the DP006 is a 4 track machine.
Further researching on the Tascam Forum, someone has swapped the cards between a DP006 and a DP-03SD and the songs did show up. Going from the DP-03 to the 006, the song showed up but only showed 4 tracks, which makes perfect sense since the DP006 is a 4 track ma

I can now confirm that an SD card recorded on a DP-08 will play correctly on the DP-03SD. I’ve enjoyed all the comments on this thread!

Glad to hear it Rees. My question is: with the two different partitions, how big is the FAT partition for something like a 16GB card? I'm curious as to how much actual recording time you have.

Back