Placement of console?

frist44

I will be moving my stuff into my basement soon. The area is all finished (as a living space, not studio) with dimensions of 30'x 40'. I'm trying to plan out where to put everything. I don't have an extensive knowledge in acoustics, but was wondering if it would make more sense to keep the console and monitors further away from the wall. If so, how far would be ideal?

thanks,
Brandon

that depends on many, many factors. Why don't you draw up a picture of the space you'll be using, and approximate placement of what you were thinking, then receive more comments than you dreamed of :)

You can draw it on paper, then scan it in or even use something pathetic but function like windows paint (pbrush.exe) if its loaded on your machine.

Doesn't have to be to perfect scale if you put in the dimensions...

Generally speaking, you don't want your monitors right against a wall, you can get reflections that cancel out certain frequencies. Space behind your head is important too, for the same reason.

alright, sounds good. I'll measure it up tonight and post some pictures tomorrow. I was in a bedroom before this, which I treated with 705 in the corners and 703 on the walls spread out. They're 4'x2' sections, all of which can be used in the new space.

Brandon

here are the dimensions of the room. I will take some pictures so you can get a better idea.

Attachments

• basement.gif
    basement.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 169
I guess i should tell you that all the furniture will be gone, except for maybe a couch. The pool table has to stay where it is. I have those 2'x4' 703 panels like i said. I have maybe 10 of them. I have a 8ft wide console station with racks and stuff.

I think i'm going to use that little closet and part of the unfinished part to do guitar overdubs and maybe vox. the drums will be recorded in the room. I'm looking for the best place to put the workstation along with how to place the panels now that the room is so much bigger. There is no possibility of construction as this is my parents house. Although they did offer to put up isolation rooms, but i won't do that since i won't be here that long. this is kinda temporary (a year if that's temporary enough), but i want to make it sound the best it can.

Please help,
Brandon

I got to work today and was able to dimension is so it's a little more realistic. I put the console and drums in the two places i thought could work. please let me what you think. I'm hoping to make the move in the next week.

Thanks,
Brandon

Attachments

• basement1.gif
    basement1.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 143
Brandon,

The main problem I see with those proposed layouts is the mixing is not symmetrical. You don't want the wall on the left to be a different distance from you than the wall on the right.

--Ethan

Back