Physical limits of drummers?

Your question is valid, and I get where you're coming from. But, when I tap my foot to the tune, I'm tapping to all the bass drums (1,2,3,4). Not Bass(1), Snare(2), Bass(3), Snare(4).

Ummm

I didn't put that on a metronome, but I tapped it out on the pulse while looking at my clock and I reading it at somewhere about 130 bpm......... with some real fast fills in it.

Listen to the bass line. Tap your foot to the bass line, that's your tempo. Listen to the phrasing in the song, the phrases are all 4 beats long. (at 160) If you were playing at 320, the phrases would be half as long

To tell you the truth, I don't know of any song that is much over 220bpm. It would sound ridiculous.

You answer your own question here, Greg.

1,2,3,4. What speed do those numbers fall at? Before the drums even came, I was counting "1,2,3,4" during the bass intro. The drums came in, and I kept counting the same way. I didn't all of a sudden double up and start counting "1,2,3,4" twice as fast.

I think you're counting it slower than I am. For me, if I start from where the snare starts rolling in during the bass intro into the meat of the song, I'm counting 1234 four times. Is that too fast? Am I just retarded? That's just how I hear it. That's how I'd count it off if I was starting the song with a whole band. I'd shout out or click 1234 at the same speed that I'd be banging the hats. :confused:

Your question is valid, and I get where you're coming from. But, when I tap my foot to the tune, I'm tapping to all the bass drums (1,2,3,4). Not Bass(1), Snare(2), Bass(3), Snare(4).

Ah yes, that's how I'm doing it. I'm tapping to every kick and snare like a spazz. Is that not normal? :confused:

Ah yes, that's how I'm doing it. I'm tapping to every kick and snare like a spazz. Is that not normal? :confused:
No, it isn't.

BTW, you could very easily do kick on 1 and 3 and snare on 2 and 4 and 1/4 note hats. It would work just fine. The guys could ease up on all the picking...

No, it isn't.

BTW, you could very easily do kick on 1 and 3 and snare on 2 and 4 and 1/4 note hats. It would work just fine. The guys could ease up on all the picking...

Well that would kill the frantic feel of the whole song. :(

Besides, I'm all the guys on this song. :D

Well that would kill the frantic feel of the whole song. :(

Besides, I'm all the guys on this song. :D
Yes, it would change the feel of the song, but it wouldn't change the tempo.

This goes back to the mandolin example, you are playing a relatively slow melody but you are quadruple-picking each note. That's no the the same as playing the song fast.

Play the bass line straight, only one pick per note. Duuuuuum, dum dum dum... That establishes the tempo that everyone will hear. The fact that you are picking like a maniac doesn't change the speed of the chord progression/melody of the song.

Yes, it would change the feel of the song, but it wouldn't change the tempo.

This goes back to the mandolin example, you are playing a relatively slow melody but you are quadruple-picking each note. That's no the the same as playing the song fast.

Play the bass line straight, only one pick per note. Duuuuuum, dum dum dum... That establishes the tempo that everyone will hear. The fact that you are picking like a maniac doesn't change the speed of the chord progression/melody of the song.
Right, but it totally changes the feel, and you said it was about feel. :o

Don't confuse feel and tempo. In order to have a double time feel, you have to be playing at twice the speed of the tempo, which is what you are doing.
You are playing the drums twice as fast as the chord progression/melody line is moving. That's what gives it the double-time feel.

I'm trying to learn something though. I'm obviously making no claims of drumming brilliance. :D

That's the problem. It's so much more fun making someone who DOES make claims of having drumming brilliance realize they don't. :p

Right, but it totally changes the feel, and you said it was about feel. :o
I used the term feel two different ways.

1. feel as in groove. Like shuffle, half time, double time. This is the feel you are talking about.

2. feel as in how you feel, what you feel. This is refering to the natural way you would tap your foot to the song. This is before you admitted that you seem to be far to white to be attempting to play music. :D

If you were going to headbang to this, you would do it to the kicks, not the kick and snare. The kicks are at the tempo, they are 1/4 notes.

Okay here if you wanna listen.......

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=17873

I set the clicker at 160, but played it twice as fast as I normally would at 160. So that's double-time right? But still 160? If I set the clicker to 320, or 80, or 40, it would still fit, it would just click faster or slower, but the beat will still fit. So what's the difference? Why can't it be any of those? :confused:

That song kicks ass btw.:cool:

I used the term feel two different ways.

1. feel as in groove. Like shuffle, half time, double time. This is the feel you are talking about.

2. feel as in how you feel, what you feel. This is refering to the natural way you would tap your foot to the song. This is before you admitted that you seem to be far to white to be attempting to play music. :D

If you were going to headbang to this, you would do it to the kicks, not the kick and snare. The kicks are at the tempo, they are 1/4 notes.

Lol @ white. That's probably true. I don't groove or know anything. It's a miracle that I can play any kind of music at all.

Maybe another way to look at it is like this:

We've all said the drums are playing in "Double-time" in this tune. That should say something by itself.

But, let's look at it like this. If the drums in your tune started with the snare playing on the 2 and 4 instead of all the "&'s" (which should also tell us something right there), and then doubled-up (to how they're playing now), the TEMPO would still be at 160bpm, and we'd just say that they double-up halfway through. We wouldn't say that the tempo of the song changes to 320bpm all of a sudden.

Again, the fact that we're describing what the snare is doing as "playing on the "&'s" tells us something right there. The 1,2,3,4 that we're ALL counting is at 160bpm.

Maybe another way to look at it is like this:

We've all said the drums are playing in "Double-time" in this tune. That should say something by itself.

But, let's look at it like this. If the drums in your tune started with the snare playing on the 2 and 4 instead of all the "&'s" (which should also tell us something right there), and then doubled-up (to how they're playing now), the TEMPO would still be at 160bpm, and we'd just say that they double-up halfway through. We wouldn't say that the tempo of the song changes to 320bpm all of a sudden.

Again, the fact that we're describing what the snare is doing as "playing on the "&'s" tells us something right there. The 1,2,3,4 that we're ALL counting is at 160bpm.

Ahhhhhh, I think it just clicked. So the "ands" mean nothing. The kick following 1234 is what matters. The kick goes 1234 with each phrase or riff of the music. Am I on to something here?

Ahhhhhh, I think it just clicked. So the "ands" mean nothing. The kick following 1234 is what matters. The kick goes 1234 with each phrase or riff of the music. Am I on to something here?

Yes, to a certain extent. The &'s mean something in the sense that we're calling them &'s for a reason.

&'s to what??? Answer: To the 1,2,3,4. What are 1,2,3,4? Quarter notes. There's your tempo.

If the &'s were 1/4 notes, we wouldn't be calling them "&'s". We'd be calling them, 2 & 4. THEN, the tempo would be 320bpm.

Back