Physical limits of drummers?

Not really. You probably still counted it in (1,2,3,4), or clicked your sticks together, at the tempo of the tune (160bpm).

Yeah but I'd do it faster. I don't know how to explain it. I'd click my sticks at the speed of the hats.

Like say you got 1-2-3-4 at 160. I'm doing a kick on the 1-2-3-4, and a snare on the "ands". Hi-hats on 1&2&3&4&.

whats that? :confused:

It's not kick on 1 and 3 and snare on 2 and 4.

A beat is still a beat

But a beet is basically inedible.................. by me anyway.
puke.gif

a 4/4 signature that has the count 1---2---3---4---
is exactly the same time as: 1e&a2e&a3e&a4e&a

.................. but then, you really knew that already, didn't you?
evil_laughter.gif

You sure you've been reading the same thread as the rest of us........?

The stuff you quoted there was after you told the kid he's wrong. When using a metronome to describe drum speed it's best to disambiguate first, rather than call a kid names, imho.

The stuff you quoted there was after you told the kid he's wrong. When using a metronome to describe drum speed it's best to disambiguate first, rather than call kids names first, imho.

And him telling us he's only 14 came after he said a bunch of stupid shit, so it works both ways. He tried to come off as a know-it-all and failed miserably. Just like you're failing miserably at trying to make some non-existent point. Give up already.

Further more, the quotes I provided don't even need to be made. When someone says "I can do 32nd notes at 190bpm", it's not open to interpretation. It only means ONE THING. It means he doesn't know what he's talking about.:D

Last edited:
The song has a tempo, the drum part does not.

Listen to the song and tap your foot to the beat. You, if you are relatively normal, will be tapping 1/4 notes. The tempo that you are tapping your foot is the temo of the song. If your drum part is double-time, the tempo doesn't change.

I don't get it. Given my example above, Am I playing at 160 or 320?
You are playing 1/4 note on the kick and the snare is on the up. You are playing double time at 160.

What is the rest of the song doing? A lot of death metal stuff is actually at a slow(ish) tempo but with a 16th note feel. The melody line is usually at the tempo of the song.

Maybe this will help you visualize it:

If someone played happy birthday at 100 bpm and a mandolin player joined in. The mandolin player would be playing 16th notes at 100 bpm, he would not be playing at 400bpm. If he did play the song at 400 bpm, he would be the Yngwie of the mandolin and the song would be over in less than 5 seconds.

160 because you are playing 1and2and3and4and that's 8th notes.

But I'd be playing 8th notes either way on the hat. The difference I'm asking about is where the kick and snare falls which drives the song. I'm kicking on 1234, and hitting the snare on the ands inbetween. This is where I'm getting cornfused.

1 - kick + hat
& - snare + hat
2 - kick + hat
& - snare +hat
3 - kick + hat
& - snare + hat
4 - kick + hat
& - snare +hat

As opposed to....

1 - kick + hat
& - hat
2 - snare +hat
& - hat
3 - kick + hat
& - hat
4 - snare +hat
& - hat

Totally different feel, in my mind. But they're both 160? :confused:

Totally different feel, in my mind. But they're both 160? :confused:

Yes. different feel. Same tempo. Your hi-hat is playing 8th notes in both cases. Like you said, you're playing double time, so without realizing it, you're aware it's 160bpm. Or else, you wouldn't "feel" it as "double-time".
Or else, you wouldn't have explained it like this:

1 - kick + hat
& - snare + hat
2 - kick + hat
& - snare +hat
3 - kick + hat
& - snare + hat
4 - kick + hat
& - snare +hat

The fact that you hear the snare playing on the "&'s", as opposed to hearing it playing on the 2 and the 4, with the hi-hat playing 1/4 notes, means you "know" it's at 160bpm.

Yes. different feel. Same tempo. Your hi-hat is playing 8th notes in both cases. Like you said, you're playing double time, so without realizing it, you're aware it's 160bpm. Or else, you wouldn't "feel" it as "double-time".

The fact that you hear the snare playing on the "&'s", as opposed to hearing it playing on the 2 and the 4, with the hi-hat playing 1/4 notes, means you "know" it's at 160bpm.
Exactly.

Greg L is just over-thinking what he is doing instead of listening to how it feels.

Exactly.

Greg L is just over-thinking what he is doing instead of listening to how it feels.

I don't doubt you guys at all. I'm not trying to argue. I really am just hopelessly trying to get it. I have no idea what I'm doing. I just set the clicker to a speed I like and let er rip.

My question is basically, why isn't a double-timed 160 a 320, if it feels way faster? :confused:

I don't doubt you guys at all. I'm not trying to argue. I really am just hopelessly trying to get it. I have no idea what I'm doing. I just set the clicker to a speed I like and let er rip.

My question is basically, why isn't a double-timed 160 a 320, if it feels way faster? :confused:
Because the tempo of the song is not the speed of the drum part.

You are outsmarting yourself. The feel of the song is not faster, otherwise you wouldn't know that you were doing double-time. It would just be straight time.

Because the tempo of the song is not the speed of the drum part.

You are outsmarting yourself. The feel of the song is not faster, otherwise you wouldn't know that you were doing double-time. It would just be straight time.

The feel of the song is faster though. If I played it "straight time" with the click, the drums would sound stupid and lag behind everything else which is ripping right along.

Hang on, I'll post the stupid song.

Okay here if you wanna listen.......

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=17873

I set the clicker at 160, but played it twice as fast as I normally would at 160. So that's double-time right? But still 160? If I set the clicker to 320, or 80, or 40, it would still fit, it would just click faster or slower, but the beat will still fit. So what's the difference? Why can't it be any of those? :confused:

You answer your own question here, Greg.
1 - kick + hat
& - snare + hat
2 - kick + hat
& - snare +hat
3 - kick + hat
& - snare + hat
4 - kick + hat
& - snare +hat

1,2,3,4. What speed do those numbers fall at? Before the drums even came, I was counting "1,2,3,4" during the bass intro. The drums came in, and I kept counting the same way. I didn't all of a sudden double up and start counting "1,2,3,4" twice as fast.

Back