Peluso Vs Oktava

Dan Micah

Hi,

I'm going to buy a pair of sdc that have interchangeable capsules. I've narrowed it down to either the Oktava MK012 or the Peluso CEMC6. I already own a pair of the Rode NT5s, but I would like something a little more open/natural and capable of omni. Anyone compared these? There is nowhere nearby in Australia wher I can test these myself.

Cheers,

Dan

I have a pair of the Octavas with the three caps and the pad. I've never heard the Pelusos so no point of reference there. I do like the 012's though. They do have a bit of color to them but in a good way.

oh man. i had settled on oktavas from the sound room, and now i have another option to look in to. who sells peluso mics in the states? where's cheapest?

Review

And here's a site that has a review:

http://www.nickspicks.com/mic-peluso.htm

To quote his comparison between the two mics: "way better than the Oktava MC-012. Not even in the same league."

Of course, I have no idea who this reviewer is and, thus, have no idea if he actually knows what he's talking about. You spends your money and you takes your chances. But based upon what I've been reading about these mics, I suspect that they are, indeed, in a "completely different league" compared to the Oktava and Studio Projects mics. The Peluso sdc's are definitely on my "next mics to buy" list.

Brad

Very helpful review. I might as well bite the bullet and pay the $$. I let you know how I like the Pelusos in a few weeks...

Dan

Peluso All the way

I agree, the Oktavas are not even in the same league as the Peluso. I own the CEMC6s and I am very happy with them. I tried the oktavas at a radio show recently and thought they were just ok.
Peace,
Marco

I've also heard that Peluso is planning on developing a lollipop capsule for the CEMC6 body. And, speaking of Peluso, have you seen their LARGE diaphragm mics??? A tube U47 copy with variable polar patterns for about a grand? Oh yeah! THAT one will definitely be on my list some day.

Brad

sunflute said:
I agree, the Oktavas are not even in the same league as the Peluso. I own the CEMC6s and I am very happy with them. I tried the oktavas at a radio show recently and thought they were just ok.
Peace,
Marco

how true. I have often heard peluso mentioned as being comparable to neumann km184s and AKG 480s. top dollar detail and clarity and sound without being top dollar. the oktavas are nowhere near the pelusos.

There was an issue with the Pelusos, discussed in a thread recently, regarding noise. In fact, there was a clip posted where the noise was very evident. I'm guessing that this is being or has been addressed, but I'd be sure to check into this before purchasing these mics. It wasn't just a single case.

-RD

Bassman Brad said:
And here's a site that has a review:

http://www.nickspicks.com/mic-peluso.htm

To quote his comparison between the two mics: "way better than the Oktava MC-012. Not even in the same league."

Of course, I have no idea who this reviewer is and, thus, have no idea if he actually knows what he's talking about. You spends your money and you takes your chances. But based upon what I've been reading about these mics, I suspect that they are, indeed, in a "completely different league" compared to the Oktava and Studio Projects mics. The Peluso sdc's are definitely on my "next mics to buy" list.

Brad
In his review of the Oktava MC012's, he says, "Quite honestly, I believe that they are passed over for Schoeps or Neumanns due to name recognition. I would match these mics up to any other pair of condenser mics. Pound for pound, and most importantly, dollar for dollar, they are hard to beat."

So he's just said the Oktavas are as good as the Schoeps or Neumanns. But in his Peluso review, he says the Pelusos are: "way better than the Oktava MC-012. Not even in the same league" and "on par with a Neumann KM184".

If both the Pelusos and the Oktavas are as good as the Schoeps or Neumanns, it sounds like they're more similar than not, certainly not in "different leagues", by his own reviews.

I know that guy, he is a good friend, and certainly knows what he is talking about. Maybe I can get him to poke his head in here and clarify.

Teddy

BigRay said:
I know that guy, he is a good friend, and certainly knows what he is talking about. Maybe I can get him to poke his head in here and clarify.

Teddy
That would be great. I'm not trying to tear his reviews down, but it sounds like he either overstated the case for the Oktavas (and now has second thoughts), or he is a little blown away (perhaps too much) every time he tries a new set of mics. I'm a great admirer of the Shoeps CMC6 series, so the Pelusos are of definite interest to me.

I sent him an email. He is a busy fella, so I dont know if he will drop in or not, but I think you can contact him via his website as well, I dont know. Hes been in the audio/mic scene for a pretty long time, and is really thorough with his tests of gear. Great guy taboot.
Schoeps eh??I live literally 20 minutes from their Headquarters. I cant stand the sound of them personally(too bright)(MG man myself) but they have a lot of devotees and are certainly one of the few companies around that have implemented good QC.

The stereo kit is on back order through soundpure at the moment, but I'm definitely going put my name on the list. I own one km184 which I use on my violin and flute, and if these come close I will be very happy. Especially when a pair with shockmounts and additional caps can be had for less than the price of a single 184!

Dan :)

I've never heard the Pelusos, but back in March 2000 Electronic Musician did an extensive shootout of eight SDCs:

1) Oktava MK-012 (Russian from Guitar Center)
2) Earthworks SR-77
3) Elation KM-201 (Russian from the Sound Room)
4) Groove Tubes AM30
5) Hebden Sound CM1050C (British)
6) Gefell M300 (East Germany)
7) Audix SCX-one
8) MBHO MBNM 440 C-L (West German)

They tested them on overheads, a Taylor 612, a Steinway, and a choir using Focusrite Green, Earthworks Lab 102, and Mackie 1202 preamps. The panel of six judges included professional musicians, singers, and a producer. The results were eye-opening. You can read the entire review here:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FGL/is_3_16/ai_62449947#continue

Back