Peluso Vs KM 184 samples

Dan Micah

Hi,

I just received my Peluso CEMC6 stereo kit. One mic has a faulty socket so I'm sending it back, but though people might be interested in a comparison between the Peluso and a Neumann KM 184 I own. I wanted a stereo pair that was a bit more open than the Rodes NT5 that I own, and was tossing up between the Peluso and the Oktavas a while back.

My first impression of the Peluso is that it's very open and natural, crisp, and slightly more gain than the 184. The 184 is slightly more flattering on my fiddle, but I love the sound of the Peluso on the nylon string. That's all I've tested it with, and I'm bummed I can't try them out as a stereo pair. I also bought the omni caps with them, but haven't included samples of these. Let's see if I can manage to insert some attachments from dial-up...

O.K., so you can't attach wav or mp3 files. Any pointers how I can attach these samples...

Dan :confused:

If you have broadband internet service, your provider should provide free webspace storage. My provider allows 10 megs of space for up to seven email addresses, for a total of a possible 70 megs. That is where I store any mp3s or wavs. Each file has its own url that you can put as a link in your posts.

No broadband

Well, I don't have broadband access at the moment, so no samples. On a positive note, John Peluso just emailed to say he'd express post a replacement preamp so that's pretty good customer service. Thanks to Rick and Sunflute who reccomended the Peluso mics a few months back, they're exactly what I was after. Clean, transparent, crisp and fairly neutral.

Cheers,

Dan

I bought the Peluso 22 251 a couple of months ago and it is excellent on vox. I was so impressed with it I ordered a pair of the CEMC6's and they are just as impressive on acoustic guitar. I used to swear by my pair of Crowm CM700's but they are now up for sale in the classifieds. Next mic on the radar screen is the Peluso 2247. Happy Holidays! :-)

Dan, email the samples to me and I will post them for ya. My email

BTW, It saddens me to find out you are having trouble with the CEMC6 mic. Hmm, what's up with Peluso Labs anyway? This kind of information will hurt their business. They have to get on the stick and get their quality control fixed.

I have recorded a number of fiddles and fiddlers over the years, and I almost always find ribbon mics work best. You might want to try a ribbon for that instrument.

Rick Shepherd said:
Dan, email the samples to me and I will post them for ya. My email

BTW, It saddens me to find out you are having trouble with the CEMC6 mic. Hmm, what's up with Peluso Labs anyway? This kind of information will hurt their business. They have to get on the stick and get their quality control fixed.

Yes, this is the second time that someone has posted saying their Peluso mic arrived with issues. Glad to hear they're responsive on it, but they're fast on the way to taking the crown from Oktava for lack of QC. Anyway, can't wait to hear the KM-184 comparison, since I'm very familiar with those on violin.

Congrats,
RD

Good customer service

Well, I've emailed Rick the mp3s, please forgive my guitar playing as I'm a violinist, flautist and just dabble on the guitar.

John Peluso emailed and phoned me to say he was posting out a replacement preamp and that he didn't want me to return the faulty one. Even told me what was probably wrong in case I wanted to try to repair it or get it repaired. Can't fault the sound of these mics, or the customer service.

Cheers,

Dan

I agree that it is a bad sign if there are that many people with Peluso quality control issues:(

However, it does seem that Mr. Peluso has been excellent in making it right for everyone. For me, that makes me more prone to buying something from him, even with the QC possibilities. Knowing that I will be taken care of easily makes me want to buy:D

Back