Small Dia. Condensers for Field / SFX

CUSETOWN

I'm doing field recording with a Sony PCM D50, and I'm interested in picking up a pair of SDC's for recording out and about.. Nature, Sound FX, & everything that makes sound. :)

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for an Apogee mini-me or mini-mp, so thats what will power them eventually..
My price range is prob. around $500/pr.
Not alot, so I'm looking for low noise bang for buck WITH the option to switch to a omni capsule (or at least super card.), and a pad option would be a plus.

Considering:
Studio Projects C4
Oktava MK012
Rode NT5

Any others I should consider in this range?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Id go with the C4 out of those...Id use my SM81s if I were to do that.

I have a Zoom H2 with 4 onboard mics...does a nice job of everything.

Another vote for the C4's. I've used them extensively for the precise purposes you are talking about. They are great on bird songs.-Richie

I think they spelled that bands name "The Byrds"....but I think they are equally good for recording bands like the Eagles...Jackyl...and the Beatles.

Not to mention The Thunderbirds, the Black Crowes, Rockin' Robin, Flock of Seagulls, etc.
What the hell? Every one of the supposedly original melodies of Mozart were based on bird songs. It's an unlimited source of creative original melodies which is pretty much automatically in the public domain.-Richie

. . . not to mention the entire genre is called "Roc" :D

I think maybe that Mozart bit relates to Magic Flute, probably not everything he wrote though . . .

Also, although this thread is a week old, I fell compelled to point out that supercardioid and omni are less similar to each other than cardioid and omni. It goes:

omni - subcardioid (or wide cardioid, if you like) - cardioid - super/hypercardioid* - figure eight/bidirectional

* super and hypercardioid are technically different, but often used interchangeably. Hyper is slightly closer to fig-8.

Back