Pedal Choice

Just get the SD-1 to start with, then later on, get the Tubescreamer dude...A little at a time....The SD-1 is a good pedal, like Greg said, it's a little more transparent, & will let more of your amp's tone through while pushing it a little harder. I use mine the same way Greg does, level up, drive down/off, tone to taste....

"In terms of differences among the models: the TS808, the TS9, and the TS9 reissue are in fact built on the same circuit board pattern. For these three, THE ONLY DIFFERENCES ARE THE OPAMP TYPE AND THE TWO OUTPUT RESISTORS."
Per the Technology of the Tube Screamer which is otherwise probably way more info than anybody really needs.

Good info. There is an exception to the ts808. The first ones used a different circuit board with dual 1458 oPAMP chips. The 35th anniversary from 2014 recreated that circuit, except they used double 4558 chips instead of the 1458. My ts808 isn't near as aggressive as my ts9 (Malaysian chip). Similar to comparing Les Pauls...there are definitely differences in sound from different models and even of the same model, but at the end of the day they all sound like a les paul.

Do you actually like his band, or do you just like him? I think he's an okay dude from the videos, but his band is crapola IMO.
They were actually really good. Best club gig I've seen in ages.
I now have a brutal hangover.

Was that sumo wrestler guy from the videos playing in the band?

The guy with the with the 'fro? Yeah. He was there. He plays the majority of the guitar actually - Chapman didn't play at all on lots of songs and even when he was playing it was generally when they needed two different guitar p arts or for the odd solo. The other guy played most of the solos too. I think he also controls Chapman's amp when he's not using it himself. Whether you like the songs or not, the sound was great. Really good tone, sounded loud and heavy but it wasn't a wall of mush and gain.

Had a couple of pints with the bassist afterwards and then ended up going to a speakeasy and guzzling some strong booze - really didn't want to wake up this morning.

The guy with the with the 'fro? Yeah. He was there. He plays the majority of the guitar actually - Chapman didn't play at all on lots of songs and even when he was playing it was generally when they needed two different guitar p arts or for the odd solo. The other guy played most of the solos too. I think he also controls Chapman's amp when he's not using it himself. Whether you like the songs or not, the sound was great. Really good tone, sounded loud and heavy but it wasn't a wall of mush and gain.

Had a couple of pints with the bassist afterwards and then ended up going to a speakeasy and guzzling some strong booze - really didn't want to wake up this morning.

Did you meet chapman and tell him what tool he is?

Did you meet chapman and tell him what tool he is?
Briefly - I didn't insult him though - just told him I enjoyed the set. Was actually a really friendly atmosphere there.

At the end the band buggered off for a pint but Chapman was confronted by a hoard of basement dwellers who'd brought their Chapman guitars for him to sign.

You can try a BBE Sonic Stomp (sonic maximizer), it made a huge difference in my sound, the distortion sound is amazing when you use it with this pedal. You should check it out and see how many metal guitarists use that, the list is really impressive like guitarists from Chimaira, Fear Factory, Slipknot, disturbed, Megadeth, Gwar, Anthrax, Korn, strapping young lad, obituary, shadow fall, Halford etc

Chimaira, Fear Factory, Slipknot, disturbed, Megadeth, Gwar, Anthrax, Korn, strapping young lad, obituary, shadow fall, Halford etc
To paraphrase Obe-Wan: This is not the tone I am looking for.

I'll look up the pedal though.

Well, I meant in terms of tone.

And then where does a TS7 fall into this mix?
I know. Was half joking when I posted that. If you want to google a TS7 schematic we can take a look. ;)

I personally don't have enough experience with actual Ibanez screamers to tell you much other than that I never really cared for them. Always been in the Rat camp, but even then I don't get all cork-sniffy with the things.

I suspect that most of the real tonal difference between pedals of this type has as much to do with the tolerance of the components themselves. A 10% resistor actually has a 20% spread between the lowest value and the highest, and capacitors (until very recently) often had a spread from like -80% to +20%. A 100% difference in a capacitor value usually means that the cutoff of some filter shifts an entire octave! You kind of never know for sure what you're getting til you plug it in and either dig it or don't.

Hmm, that reminds me, I don't know where my Rat is. Not that I particularly care. I'm sure I haven't plugged into it in more than 25 years, so I guess you could say I'm not exactly missing it. It was one of those that seemed like a good idea at the time.

I used a DOD performer series distortion with an 82 strat through a peavey bandit 50 amp, and later a peavey musician head and 4x12 cab. My tone was not very good back then. :)

I used a DOD performer series distortion with an 82 strat through a peavey bandit 50 amp, and later a peavey musician head and 4x12 cab. My tone was not very good back then. :)
Was the distortion channel on the bandit not enough?

Back