I'm in Ecstasy (Bogner Ecstasy that is)

Bristol Posse

Okey Dokey
I just pickup up a Bogner Ecstasy Blue pedal. I'm not about to drop 4 grand on a Bogner amp so I have no idea how similar they sound but I wanted to share my thoughts on this pedal whih is suposed to somewhat emulate the blue channel on the Ecstasy amp.

I picked it up this morning and will be playing a couple of numbers at a show this weekend so have been messing with it for the last 5 hours with just a quick break for a sandwich and a beer to see what it can do

bristol-posse-albums-pedals-picture56952-bognor.jpg

Like most players I'm on a seemingly endless quest to find "THAT" overdirve/distortion sound and have been through numerous pedals as well as slamming the preamp tubes hard (fizzy) or, better still, hitting the power amp section hard.
Pedals have mostly been "Meh" for me so far. Tube Screamers "Meh", Boss SD "Meh" , Fulltone "Yikes", MXR Custom Badass "Ok-ish" and so on and so forth.

This pedal cost a little more than I usually spend but I figured I'd been through a bunch of the $100-150 range pedals and hadn't found the one in that price bracket

I ran this pedal into a Fender Blues Junior running nice and clean to just hear what the pedal could do

This pedal has an on/bypass function as well as a boost for when the pedal is engaged. The boost has it's own individual gain and volume controls too (Disguised as LEDs) that means you can really use this as a boost or level match just to get different sounds or anything in between.

There are 3 pre eq curves and three amp types (structures) that each give their own emphasis to the mids/lows/highs
There's a variac switch that gives a kind of voltage sag effect that can make things kind of squashed and floppy
another switch selects between blue and plexi mode. Plexi seems a little lower gain and can giver a cleaner boost, while blue gives more crunch

Additionally there is a gain, master volume and 3 band EQ

Running the pedal was actually like having some more amps to play with. The switches really did change the way things sounded . moving the structure from 101 - 100 - 20th gave a progressively more hyped mids and gained up sound. changing the eq modes noticeably changed the top end and tightness in the bass
turning on the variac really squashed things up and made the low end feel kind of loose at the same time

The EQs are responsive and really can play with the sound.

I really felt this was more like playing an amp than an overdrive pedal. This is certainly not a high gain pedal but is a very versatile overdrive/mild distortion box. Running it in 101 plexi mode into a clean amp it can be more of a clean boost with EQ or just a little bit of break up, pushing it harder in more aggressive modes and you move more into late seventies early eighties crunch (think EVH, AC/DC and a little bit beyond).

Does it sound like a bogner amp? no idea and quite frankly I don't really care. what it does sound like is a very versatile OD pedal that can do a wide range of OD.Distortion flavors rather effectively. Maintains note clarity really well, breaks up like an amp, has a kind of sheen and sparkle that I haven't heard in other pedals I've tried.

So, it's a little pricey but if your tired of the buy it, try it and then dump it on eBay routine this might be worth a look. seems like a keeper to me.

Last edited:
Back