Peavey Electronics on undercover boss = Ouch!

TAE

All you have is now
Any of ya's see it on Sunday?

An inside peek into the going on's and craziness that is Hartley Peavey...and Peavey Electronics.

Holy drama ...workers with 20+ years getting jacked around, sections of the American manufacturing side being shut down and outsourced to China.

These UB inside peeks usually leave ya with the old warm n fuzzies...this one ...not so much.

The knife in the back came in the last minutes of the show where Under cover boss inserted a 4 months later update...wow...deep under the bus.

Hartley went for the free advertising and in this case got what he paid for...damn!

He's getting millions of dollars worth of exposure...albeit not such good exposure...but exposure for free nonetheless

Washington post on it

Peavey's response to the airing of the episode.. ( Peavey's step son who is taking over the biz)

Undercover Boss response to the lash back

After the first few episodes aired you'd have to live under a rock not to know the guy is an Undercover Boss.
There was no need to add an update to the show - that was for dramatic effect and sensationalism.
My company outsourced to India ten years ago and it sucks. All for the almighty dollar.
I don't think Long and McQuade even stocks Peavey anymore but I could be wrong.

The one guy had another job lined up and had put in his notice, on account of reduced hours at Peavey I think. They said they would like to convince him to stay. Dude passed on the new job then got notice of a layoff some time shortly after. That's fucked. Shafted by the wrong end of the "It's just business, you got to do what you got to do".

The one guy had another job lined up and had put in his notice, on account of reduced hours at Peavey I think. They said they would like to convince him to stay. Dude passed on the new job then got notice of a layoff some time shortly after. That's fucked. Shafted by the wrong end of the "It's just business, you got to do what you got to do".

A lot of employers have the same attitude--- loyalty is a one-way street.

Mick In the Peavey link I posted you'll see that that guy was not laid off as UB reported, he's got a gig...and Peavey is still making a lot of stuff here in the U.S.

Employees see the company and their "job" from their perspective, owners from theirs and they are two different "jobs". As an employee, like it or not, you are but a cog in a wheel...As an owner it is your job to keep the wheel rolling. For your supporting role as an employee making the wheel go round you receive an agreed upon compensation...no gun to your head, it's a free country, you can leave and go build your own wheel or hire on as a cog in a different wheel at any time. Conversely if the wheel is slowing down, it is the owners job to keep the wheel going and that might mean layoffs and outsourcing or face closing down. It's easy to throw stones at the owner..after all "we made him rich".. The truth of the matter is that kind of thinking is very myopic... As one of my old PITA bosses once said to me ..."No one is indispensable, I can replace you with another worker and you can replace me with another employer. If we can get along and make some money together, beautiful. If I'm not happy with the amount of money your making for me or your not happy with amount of money I'm paying you for what you do... we're wasting each others time and we'd be fools to not go our separate ways."

Peavey makes a second rate product, so it's no surprise they'd operate as a second rate company. Big deal. There's nothing surprising or out of the ordinary about what they do.

Mick In the Peavey link I posted you'll see that that guy was not laid off as UB reported, he's got a gig...and Peavey is still making a lot of stuff here in the U.S.

Employees see the company and their "job" from their perspective, owners from theirs and they are two different "jobs". As an employee, like it or not, you are but a cog in a wheel...As an owner it is your job to keep the wheel rolling. For your supporting role as an employee making the wheel go round you receive an agreed upon compensation...no gun to your head, it's a free country, you can leave and go build your own wheel or hire on as a cog in a different wheel at any time. Conversely if the wheel is slowing down, it is the owners job to keep the wheel going and that might mean layoffs and outsourcing or face closing down. It's easy to throw stones at the owner..after all "we made him rich".. The truth of the matter is that kind of thinking is very myopic... As one of my old PITA bosses once said to me ..."No one is indispensable, I can replace you with another worker and you can replace me with another employer. If we can get along and make some money together, beautiful. If I'm not happy with the amount of money your making for me or your not happy with amount of money I'm paying you for what you do... we're wasting each others time and we'd be fools to not go our separate ways."

There is an ettiquette to these things. You don't fight to temporarily retain a guy who has another opportunity lined up when you know you're going to lay him off soon anyway. That's unprofessional and egregious. Or worse - they were so poorly organized and managed that they didn't even consider it that way and plan accordingly. This is not how well-run companies behave.

That's nice that they eventually matched the offer as a conciliation but I question whether that would have happened were it not for the TV show and impending PR debacle.

Easy to Monday morning quarterback but the truth is we don't know what they "knew" or didn't know when they got him to stay on ..So sure "if" they knew that would have been a very evil thing to do to the guy. From watching Courtland operate I'd say he was clueless of what next week, yet alone what the next 4 months would bring...IMO out of his league for the position he holds but that's just from what I saw on the show...

Likewise one can "question" that if the whole story had not been shown on national TV they would not have been as generous to him...the truth is we don't know and to default to the idea that they wouldn't have is just dubious speculation with no facts based evidence to support it.

It's a reality TV show heavily edited for drama and to guide the viewer into a specific reaction. You got hooked.

Peavey makes a second rate product, so it's no surprise they'd operate as a second rate company. Big deal. There's nothing surprising or out of the ordinary about what they do.
In the old days they made stuff that lasted forever.
But in the last decade, not so much.

I have a good friend here that always buys Peavey because he gets a good deal on it from a friend who has a music store.

But none of it lasts trouble-free for more than 2 or 3 years.
I want my stuff to work everytime I turn it on.
I'll pay more for reliability.

In the old days they made stuff that lasted forever.
But in the last decade, not so much.

I have a good friend here that always buys Peavey because he gets a good deal on it from a friend who has a music store.

But none of it lasts trouble-free for more than 2 or 3 years.
I want my stuff to work everytime I turn it on.
I'll pay more for reliability.

Yes the old Peavey stuff from the 70s and 80s was pretty dang good. Now they're the american behringer.

I got my first guitar 49 years ago. I've got a boatload now, and gone through even more. With all of the guitars, amps and pedals that I've gone though, I just bought my first one and only Peavey item about a week ago. It's an old used strat-style guitar case I got for $20. Probably be the last Peavey thing I ever buy. Although I have heard good things about their Classic 30.

My brother bought a 5150 in the early 90s. That was a good amp and it lasted for a long time and was abused at countless punk rock shows.

My PA for gigging is a late 70's /early 1980's peavey setup:
CS800 "bullet proof" power amp
Old 16 channel MD series mixer (excellent mic pres)
27 band EQ
International series speakers with a high tweeter horn, a midrange horn, and 18" black widow speakers.
Monitor speakers with 12" scorpion speakers.

This stuff was giggled with weekly, soaked with spilled drinks, marinated in cigarette smoke, and literally thrown in a van at the end of those nightly gigs by tired drunken musicians...for years upon years. The CS 800 has gone out twice. The fix? Take the top cover off, take it to a gas station, blow the dust out of it with an air hose. Good as new.
That equipment has sat in storage in freezing weather....and also 100+ degree weather with 96% humidity. It still works like it's supposed to. I set it up for a car show last month...just to play music for the event and use the mic to make announcements and the results of the judging.

The guy in charge of it said "man, that's probably the best sounding pa system I've ever heard. (It's those internationals...they are phenomenal! )
I have made thousands upon thousands of dollars with that system and, compared to other systems available at the time, it was VERY cheaply priced. I'm not about to knock their stuff.
Is the new peavey stuff good?
I don't know....I'm still using to same old peavey stuff I've had for 30 years

Back