pc recording

an1989dy

hello,
i am wanting to find a way to record to my pc and to have at least 8 xlr inputs. (not using a mixer, but having 8 tracks recording at a time onto my pc) I would like to get a pro tools LE system, but they only have 4 xlr inputs on their digi 002, and the only thing up from that that i can find is an icon system :confused: Since i can't afford one of these let alone have the slightest idea how to run it, i think i will leave that out of the question. if anyone knows how i could have at least 8 xlr inputs into cakewalk or pro tools, please let me know.

thanks

ok . look at a terra tec phase 88 or delta 1010 multi input sound card.
connect as follows....
behr insert 1 >>>sound card input 1
behr insert 2 >>>sound card input 2
etc to...
behr insert 8 >>>sound card input 8
for multitrack software what i use blows the competition away.
http://pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm
you wont beat it unless you pay a lot of money for many different software packages. if you dont believe me talk to users on the forums at the site. including people whove bought more expensive software only to end up using
it. peace. hope this helps. if your really sceptical try the demo.
whats your pc config ? note....512 ram needed plus a newish pc.

you have a great system.
note....with the software i recommended you can do unlimited audio tracks on your system. if your athlon puffs out after recording 40 audio tracks just
mix to stereo, reimport the mix to a track and add 39 more tracks.
also NOTE...the software will correct vocal pitches and create vocal harmonies from a vocal. also includes a slew of effects like echo, revb, noise gate, eq and many more. also check out the scoring and notation and midi features.

thanks for all your help. once again, you've gave someone the answers they need to fulfill a life of computer based recording. horray!

p.s.
i use cakewalk because i got it free from my high school but will probably upgrade. i'll check out your software ;)

do yourself a favor, and compare what i use. you wont be disappointed. also try band in a box some time. it lets you build a back up band in software.
very usefull for one man bands who dont have folks to play with. peace.
MAKESURE YOU GET A SOUND CARD WITH GOOD WDM DRIVERS. eg...delta if were me. peace.

why do i need to get a good soundcard if i got that Terratec Phase 88 Rack 8-Channel PCI Interface? what are wdm drivers??

you misunderstood. if you get a terratec, you dont need another sound card. i was just offering the delta as an option. thats all.
i dont know if the terratec has solid wdm drivers. so i suggest you check that out. solid drivers are important for a smooth daw pc. read up on wdm on the net. (google).or buy it on the understanding it can be returned if for some reason it might not work in your particular pc. but it should be fine.
its just that on this forum more info is known about delta which has a good reputation. not as much is known about terratec.

WDM = Windows Driver Model

WDM is an interface specification which Microsoft publishes for device manufacturers. It is specific to Windows 2000 and XP. There is no guarantee that the result will be superior in performance, but in theory it should be more reliable.

Back