Patch bay or something else?

tenants

Lately during our live performances I've been having to fumble around with cables in our rack between songs, and it's getting quite annoying. Most of the time it's because I have to switch a recording input to a different channel's output, or something similar. What I really, really would like to do is have one readily-accessible panel to control all this, so I can plug all the instruments into nicely-labeled inputs, and have all the nicely-labeled outputs in one place for easy switching.

After doing some research I'm thinking of getting a patch bay for this, but it looks like patch bays are mainly used for home recording, I haven't read about live applications. Does anybody have any suggestions for what I should do? Is there something other than a patch bay that I could use?

There's no rule that patchbays are only for recording. If you have a rack full of gear, you probably need one.

Lately during our live performances I've been having to fumble around with cables in our rack between songs, and it's getting quite annoying. Most of the time it's because I have to switch a recording input to a different channel's output, or something similar.

Why do you have to do this? I've been doing live recording for almost 20 years and I've never had a situation that required repatching between songs unless some equipment failed. Maybe you need to rethink your process.

My thoughts exactly... why change recording routes mid performance? There's got to be a better way. Not that you can't use a patch bay... but not one you'd reconfigure on the fly, mid performance.

I used to have a patch bay even when I was just doing live sound with no recording, If there was a band changeover I could patch a compressor in from the front of the rack or change the signal chain very quickly. I see now a lot of live sound guys with a torch and their heads in the back of a rack trying to re-patch mid show.

Patch bays rule.

Alan.

Between groups yeah, between songs nah... I hope you're trying to troubleshoot a problem if you're behind racks with a flashlight, and at that point a rack is just one more point of possible of failure.

Don't get me wrong... anytime I connect more than three audio components in a chain it's through a patch bay... but not for the OPs stated purpose... He should be able to reroute inputs and outputs right within the desk if he sets it up to do so.

Yes he should get a patch bay... No he shouldn't be re-patching between songs if there's any way to avoid it

Back