Patch bay for SaffirePro40?

ghostred7

For the holidays, I got myself a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, which is currently just hanging out on my desk. I want to put it into an angled portable rack so I can move it from home to rehearsal space with a little more ease. I was thinking about having a patch bay with it so I don't have to monkey w/ cables more than necessity.

My question is....since all of the ports on the Pro40 are Mic/Line...what is the best way to go about this? Should I ignore the 1/4" and do it straight XLR and use an adapter where necessary? This is only for channels 3-8 as 1-2 are on the front of the interface.

Adapters make for bad connections. Get a patchbay that has both connectors (or two separate patchbays if necessary) and set the rig up for your typical usage scenario.

Does DI boxes apply to the the "adapters make for bad" logic or are they still viable? Reason I ask is that with using the inputs for drums on some occasions is that I'd rather have them all XLR connections with the occasional line-in usage.

No, anything connected with decent quality cables should be fine. I'm talking about those little adapters that seem to be Radio Shack's solution to every connectivity problem.

Sweet, thanks! I'll just make it pure XLR, then. I'll search around the forums for quality cable recommendations. Thanks again.

I don't know why you would use an adapter to convert a TRS jack to an XLR jack for a connection that already provides a TRS connection.

Back