parametric eq -- Furman vs Ashly vs ????

zphillips

I'm looking to get a good stereo parametric eq. I'll mainly be using it for mixdown and notching and recording leads. I know I like Ashly stuff but after hawking ebay for a while it seems like Furmans run cheaper. is it crazy to drop 250 on an Ashly parametric? are Furman's parametrics comparable? is there something even cheaper that I should think about getting instead? extreme precision doesn't interest me, I want something with character (maybe it's placebo but everything sounds real good out of my SC52E, the only Ashly I've had).

oh yeah, and if you've got something to sell on the reasonable side, let me know -- I'd rather do business with yall than the anonymous ebay empire.

Look for used Orban units. If you're lucky, you'll run across a 642B (if you're REALLY lucky, it'll have a black face).

Massive Master -- thanks for the advice. I've looked into Orbans and they seem great but I will probably never be able to afford one in my whole life!

I wouldn't know the difference part per part between the two - but to the ear is what I derive my findings from.

Based on my experience I would disagree. I'm not saying the Furman & Ashley units (I'm presuming OP is referring to the PQ3 and SC66 respectively) sound identical, just that neither sounds qualitatively better than the other. They both sound like exactly what you'd expect from built-to-a-pricepoint hardware from the mid-1980s. You can add the AudioArts 4100 to that list too. In order to get something that sounds conspicuously better I think you'd have to move up to the Orban 622 units

...or, rather than deal with used equipment, just get a new Speck ASC. (Which imho sounds even better than the Orbans.)

thanks everyone. now I'm thinking maybe Tascam PE40 or a Rane as they seem to go cheaper than the Ashly & Furmans and people generally seem to like em. high end stuff like Orbans seems great but is totally outside of my price range and home recording needs.

Back