PA System for crowd of apx 1000-1200 people?

nopoetic

i need to know what wattage, how many monitors and other equipment i would need for a crowd of apx 1100 people. i need to rent one for a benefit show in Jan and i would like to hear some opinions on what i should use. i need something to run the amps and drum through as well as vocals. any help is greatly appreciated.

Your probably going to be facing a situation of what you can afford over what you need or want. Call the local companies and see what's available.

For something like that you're probably looking at 4 cabs with 15" woofers and a couple of subs for the mains with around 5K-8K watts of power. You could probably get away with 2 cabs and 2 subs.

The monitors depends on how many people in the bands. Probably 3-4 would do at around 2K-4K watts.

TexRoadkill is right. This is the exact system I have, too bad you're in Del. I run 2 SP3, 2 X118 with 4 Crowns at 1200w each, 4 monitors with two 900w amps. Really puts out the sound for this small of coverage, even tented outdoor venues.

What are you planning to run? a rock band?

If so, I would suggest hiring a pro sound guy that is all set up to do the job...

For a system of this size it is really the only way to go...

Over the years, I've played in many rock bands around the country in siminal sized rooms... Here is what we used for a typical venue of this size...

2 JBL 18" Subs per side (each cab loaded with 2 JBL 18's) for a total of 8 JBL 18" speaker for bottom end

2 JBL Hi-Packs per side (each cab loaded with either 15's or 12's) for a total of 8 speakers for mids

2 JBL Horns per side for a total of 4 horns for high's

4-5 monitors with monitor board (w/ 2 stereo poweramps.. QSC, Crown, or Crest)

6 QSC, Crown, or Crest amps for the mains
a 3-way mono crossover.

A 24 or 32 channel FOH console (snakes and cables)

Outboard effects and eq's (6 stereo eq's)for mains and monitors... a few compressors....

Perhaps some stage lighting (NSI or ETA)

And last but not least: The skill to hook all this stuff up and run it

Shred

i know what i need.....

ok so i think ive figured out what i need for a PA system...

about 10,000-12,000watts
3 cabs per side with 8,000-10,000watts split between the sides
about 4-5 floor monitors w/apx 2,000watts going to those
a 16 channel mixer

the only problem is that i need to rent this from somewhere or get it donated. this is for a benefit show so im hopeing people are willing to do it in exchange for signs around the place about the company sponcering the show. if anyone can help me out with this...and point me in the direction of a place that would donate this equipment in the Delaware area it would solve all my problems. and if they could also donate some sort of lighting setup for the show too. thanks for anyone's help.

nopoetic,

I'm affraid I don't follow you... You say that you are willing to rent a large system such as this (which will certainly cost you some change) But you are Not willing to have a Pro engineer come, that OWNS a large system and pay him....

Even Benifits do have some expenses... you could ask for a reduced rate... but asking a Pro engineer with the gear to work for nothing is harsh (I don't think you would find one that's any good to do it).

You could also look at it like this.... Try asking a dentist to do some work on your front teeth (For Free) because you are appearing on a TV telethon and need to smile a lot... A dentist is a trained professional and most likely will not do this for you...as is a good sound engineer....

Shred

You might have some luck getting a large corporate AV company to do it for free but that would still be a long shot. Unless the people attending are all in the music business there is very little chance of getting a small rental company to donate gear in exchange for advertising.

Good luck.

i want a pro engineer there to do this, i guess i should have specified that but....whatever, i need this PA System for as little cost as i can, this show is for charity, so im hopeing people can help me out here. if worse comes to worse the ticket money will have to pay for it, and the cost of the system wont be over $1000 i know that for a fact. and we will get around $6000 from ticket sales alone easy. so i just have to work it out. so at least $5000 will goto this charity.

nopoetic...don't know where you're at, but some churches have very large sound systems and do live venues, especially for charity. I donate my time and equipment often. Otherwise pay the man...do it right.

for $800-1000 you should be able to get a Pro engineer (perhaps w/ a stage tech) and a killer system for the venue... including lights.... and if it's for charity see if the pro will give you a reduced rate.

I'd check out local PA equipment dealers for referals to the Pros

Shred

Back