Overwhelming number of Cakewalk users here at homerecording...

imnotdeafyet

I didn't realize how popular Cakewalk was. I've been using it for years, but didn't know I had so much company. how many of you have tried other daw's, and why did you decide on Cakewalk?

What numbers are those? Some poll, I guess? Out of the really active users here - I'd say that Cubase and Reaper are about neck and neck, with Reaper moving up, from what I've seen.

I've been using a Cakewalk DAW since 2000, but I also use Reaper, and I still have Emagic Logic 5.5.1 loaded on an XP partition which I use on occasion.

I've also tried Nuendo and Studio One, which is pretty nice and I might start using it more.

But most of my experience is with Sonar... I've used all versions from v2 through X1d.

Started out with 7, well a buddy had 7, that's what I learned on. I bought 8.5 and upgraded to X1 Producer Expanded. Before Cakewalk I tried Krystal, a free bee. I tried the Pro Tools that came with my 1st interface, some m-powered stuff, tried Reaper, tried Cube Base that came with my Tascam, deleted it off HD after a couple hours. I guess what you learn on is always easiest to use. I like my Cakewalk. It may not be the "Best" but it's the best for me.

Hi Peeps... another Cakewalk fan here. I got Cakewalk 3 bundled with a Creative Labs sound card so many years ago I just can't remember. I entered the Sonar world at V5 and upgraded to V6. But then I disappeared off the music making radar for a bit, and now I'm back and getting to grips with X1 Expanded. I think the new GUI, with Multidock, is an excellent innovation from Cakewalk, and I am really enjoying getting back into it again :^)

Cakewalk fan here as well. I started off with Sonar 7 just like a lot of users. Once it went 64-Bit, that's when I officially left Pro Tools behind. Nowadays I use it on and off since I started to learn how to use Presonus, but I can't deny it's greatness.

I started with Cubase, it was a lite version but I still had used the full versions. I loved the variaudio pitch correction in 5. I switched to Sonar right when they were about the release X1 because I got a great deal to buy 8.5 for really cheap because I had register a previous version of 6 that came with some cheap hardware that I bought forever ago. The upgrade to X1 was free and I have been using it ever since and I love it. I have used just about all of the big softwares out there through working/apprenticing at studios. By far I think Sonar is the easiest and best looking. I also love the console view.

Loving X1, it's working so much more smoothly for me than previous versions. More compatibility and stability for me.

Hello all, as this is my very first post. I think I'm the true "dinosaur" here, as I started off using Cakewalk's Sonar 4XL, and am "still" using it! I've actually put out some pretty good material with it. I supposed I'll "be" using it for quite some time, as I promised myself that the only way I'll upgrade is if I made enough money from the music I'm putting together with this particular platform. Sans to say, I have made "squat" with it; therefore, it still hasn't been replaced with something more recent. I got it in 2006, and have learned tons of stuff since loading it onto my computer. I'll never forget the 3 or 4 hours I sat there scratching my head and wondering what in the hell I was going to do with this thing immediately after installing it. But so many years later, as I mentioned, I've gotten quite handy with it. I've recorded covers of songs I like, as well as originals. I've recently began to entertain the thought of trying my luck by professionally recording some of the original stuff I've written and putting it on CD Baby; but after reading some of the stories, (here on this site, as well as some other sources) I don't think I'll even waste my time, with the industry being what it is. So, I just record stuff to have in my own personal collection, and it's pretty much all I listen to when it comes to music.
Anyway, again, greetings to all, and I hope to glean quite a bit of knowledge here, as well as put forth the occasional gem of advice, (wherever it might be appreciated anyway).

Started on Cakewalk ProAudio(?9) (well ... started on a Tascam PortaOne) ... upgrades to Sonar5 ... Sonar 8.0 (right before 8.5 came out, that's what I get for being in and out of touch) ... X1 now and using it a lot ... plus my son is too (very cool).
I have tried (all limited versions) Cubase, Live, Pro Tools, and I keep coming back to Cakewalk ...
But has anyone noticed how little credibility Sonar has in the mainstream ... most compatilility reviews don't even mention it ... I was hoping the Roland connection would have improved this ...???

Last edited:
But has anyone noticed how little credibility Sonar has in the mainstream ... most compatilility reviews don't even mention it ... I was hoping the Roland connection would have improved this ...???

It wouldn't take much from Cakewalk to tweak X2 just a bit in order for Sonar to become the "perfect" DAW - almost!

I have been using Cakewalk since Sonar 4 Producer which I bought somewhere around 2004-ish from memory. I had a brief look at 8.5 on a buddy's machine and then bought X1 early 2011. I have never opened Sonar 4 since then. I have never had to look anywhere else for anything, although I have checked out the reviews and demos to see what the fuss was about with other DAWs. I never saw anything that could tempt me away from Sonar X1. I might get X2 just to be up-to-date but not because I think I need anything that I don't already have. I'm stoked...

My first DAW was some shit on an Amiga 500 back in -92. Then I heard of Cakewalk Pro audio 9 around 2002 or something. Continued down the Cakewalk/SONAR path. I strayed for a while trying Cubase, and have also tried Samplitude and Reaper. But SONAR has always been the most intuitive for me - and now X2 is coming:)

I'm going to up grade to X2.........as soon as I get a little extra $$$$. Been saving for some real sound treatment. I also need a better microphone(s), pre-amp...compressor................................... a new 12 string......I'd like to get a synth module.....better bass guitar.......new computer......the list is enormous.

I'm going to up grade to X2.........as soon as I get a little extra $$$$. Been saving for some real sound treatment. I also need a better microphone(s), pre-amp...compressor................................... a new 12 string......I'd like to get a synth module.....better bass guitar.......new computer......the list is enormous.

The distressing part is that its not going to stop. There is always something more... but thats how we are :D

Back