Overhead reflection filter

TheDisillusion

First off hello to everyone

I'd like to cut down on the reflection come back from the ceiling to my overheads. The ceiling is just over 8ft. I have bass traps and gobos around the room and the drums sound good in the room. Problem for me with ceiling clouds is I live in a rented accommodation and cant hang anything from the ceiling. I found the Primacoustic SplashGuard on ebay but I cant find a place to buy them here in the UK or main land Europe. I also saw SE's instrument reflection filter but find it to be way too expensive and I've not read a decent review of it yet.

So I'd like to know if there are any other reflection filters for overheads or anything that I can make up myself.

Thanks

What mics are you using for overheads? If they're cardioid, they have very little pickup from the ceiling side anyway so, ironically, a thick carpet to reduce reflections on the on-axis side might give better results.

If it's really a problem, you could possibly try building yourself a folding framework out of stock plastic pipe and joints to act as a support then put some absorbent material (maybe very thin ply covered with acoustic grade fibreglass batting and fabric on top when you're recording. If you do this, make sure you have some kind of clamps to hold it so it doesn't land on you head!

However, although every room is different, it's pretty rare to have to do this. The only time I can recall was when we were forced to convert an office into a mini TV studio while the proper one was being refitted--in that, we found a roughly 3' x 6' piece of absorbent material in the right place on the ceiling (we clamped it above the free standing temporary lighting grid) tamed the problem we were having.

If you need a reflexion panel on the ceiling you can screw small eyebolts into the studs at ceiling level, into the walls (If you are planning to fill the small holes that are about the size of a nail used to hang a picture when your lease is up). From there you can run a small wire / cable from one wall to the next and mount your traps to the cables.

In my mind it would be easier to find the studs in the ceiling and screw four eyebolts there and mount the panels direct rather using a cable. When the lease is up you can go to the home improvement store of your choice and purchase a few dollars worth of spackle and fill the holes in. If the ceiling is textured you will be able to easily hide the mounting holes.

As a bit of a disclaimer; I would get the homeowner's permission first. They will likely have no issues if you have been a good renter and they are happy with you. Just don't leave the little holes in the walls when you move out.

Back