Outboard EQ

gcapel

boom box recordings
Sup,

I am breaking out of the box! Finally. I have decided on the 1642VLZ3 mainly because of the price and the routing.

I know the eq on the channels are not going to be that great. Anyone know of some usable outboard eq that will not break the bank? There is not much out there. I have notice this piece: http://www.alesis.com/deq830

wasup BK.

I dont recall seeing you lately.

The bank? I dont really know but, lets say 200.00 a channel give or take.

For recording and mixing use? Parametrics. You don't want graphics (especially those horrible Alesis graphics).

Look for (they're going to be old) Orban units or something.

For recording and mixing use? Parametrics. You don't want graphics (especially those horrible Alesis graphics).

Look for (they're going to be old) Orban units or something.

Mixing

10-4 on the oram. They make a new 8 channel unit. But way to much for me.

Another in the used category--Rane PE15. 5 band parametric, single channel. I had to get them separately on the 'Bay, but as I recall, I paid about $150 for each channel. I'm in and out of the box, and they're certainly no better than a decent EQ plug, but if you're completely out of the box, they'll do the job.

Besides older Orban units, you can look for the DBX 242 Parametric EQ. It was also designed by Robert Orban. I believe that Harvey Gerst first recommended these on this Board. I have a pair and they work quite well. They still seem to run between $100 and $140 or so used (as they are discontinued, used is all there is) and appear to have held their value over the last 4 or 5 years. Very decent EQ. Next step up would probably be something like a Speck Electronics ASC-T which is significantly more money (@$400 a channel used).

Orban - Not Oram. Or those DBX units (which are basically Orban) if you can find them.

Or just dump the board and get three or four Toft AFC's...

My bad on the orban.

Crap I had to look at the 16 channel console on the toft website. :(

Thanks, I will be on the lookout.

My bad on the orban.

Crap I had to look at the 16 channel console on the toft website. :(

Thanks, I will be on the lookout.
A lot of people love those boards especially for the EQ... I've been looking at them on and off, even considered jumping in the alpha group when they were in development... but haven't pulled the trigger yet... last I checked, and it's been a while now... the digital interface card was just coming out... and it fell a bit under my expectations (even for a desk with an analogue signal path)

A lot of people love those boards especially for the EQ... I've been looking at them on and off, even considered jumping in the alpha group when they were in development... but haven't pulled the trigger yet... last I checked, and it's been a while now... the digital interface card was just coming out... and it fell a bit under my expectations (even for a desk with an analogue signal path)

I'm not sure what you mean by "it fell a bit under my expectations." Do you mean it was less expensive than you expected, or not as high quality as you expected? I'm curious...

Last edited:
I picked up a Speck ASC a couple years ago, it was more than I wanted to spend. I bought another one about three weeks later, they are that good at that price point.
Sometimes I run stuff through it just cuz it sounds richer when it comes out. I am not smart enough to figure out why, but then, I don't have to be. I'm smart enough to use it.

A pair of used Rane PE17 would be serviceable.

I recently got a used Rane PEQ55 eq for about $350. Basically, it's a digital eq with analog controls. I was quite surprised. While it doesn't stack up to other eq's I have (pair Millennia Media Origin STT-1, Drawmer 1961 and Pendulum Audio SPS-1), it's rather nice. Nothing to really complain about.

I picked up a Speck ASC a couple years ago, it was more than I wanted to spend. I bought another one about three weeks later, they are that good at that price point.
Sometimes I run stuff through it just cuz it sounds richer when it comes out. I am not smart enough to figure out why, but then, I don't have to be. I'm smart enough to use it.

They are nice. I have one ASC-T and I'll pick up a second if the price is right. You would have to spend a lot more to get significantly better EQ.

I'm not sure what you mean by "it fell a bit under my expectations." Do you mean it was less expensive than you expected, or not as high quality as you expected? I'm curious...
I was actually referring to the the digital interface card... it was just two channels and seemed like a hasty response to user requests.

But there were other considerations... a lot which have been addresses... I know there were complaints about the pots, they've now been secured to the PCB... and other design requests that were being addressed... it just seemed the better judgement to wait for them to work the bugs out... (I'm talking well over a year ago). I didn't want to be stuck with a board with an old designed that was then significantly improved over the first couple of runs...

Honestly I don't think there's an analogue signal path as good as this in any other board available in this same price range, anywhere.... they set out to build an affordable analogue desk,and they certainly did... So I'm definitely not complaining about the price. I'm just stuck with one foot in the analogue world and the other in the digital realm... you can't have you're cake and eat it too... I need something that combines both worlds more gracefully, which at this point for me, is a digital board with outboard analogue.

But 8 channels of conversion out of this board... that would be the difference right now for me

I just got a mackie vlz over the weekend. I have an RME Multiface II PCI. I broke out the 8 channels of D/A conversion to the mackie. I absolutely love the way the summing sounds compaired to my previous ITB mixes. I have like 30 songs I am looking forward to remixing. I feel like a kid.

Anyway back to the eq discussion. I will keep my eyes open for the most part your kindly adviced outboard devices. For now the sony plugins are working far better than the vlz channel eq.

If you ever want to try a out a Speck, I would lend you one of mine. (you pay shipping of course, I'm nice but I'm no Martyr)

bk,

That is way above and beyond. I would not want to risk the liability if something happened. I apreciate the offer no doubt though. I will probably just get one.

Back