Outboard effects suggestions?

SappyHad

Hello I'm looking to buy an outboard effects processor for around 200.00.

Anyone have any good recommendations?

I'm looking at the Alto Alphaverb, anyone have any experience with Alto products.

Any input would be great

Thanks
Telefunking

I'm not personally familiar with that unit, so it might have some nice fx, but I notice that it's only 18 bit processing. In the same price range, you could go with the Alesis picoverb, which uses 24 bit A/D/A and, I think 28 bit internal processing. I would think that this would make a difference on crucial fx, such as 'verb.

As always, YMMV.

Brad

I can second the M300.

And don't bother about counting bit depth. At 16 and over the algorithms are vastly more important to sounds than bits.

I'm not trying to hijack Sappyhad's post, but I have some related questions for those of you who are recommending the M300. (And the answers might also help Sappyhad with his decision.) Anyway, I've been interested in this unit for quite some time, myself. Right now, the only multieffects device that I own is a Lexicon MPX-550. It sounds pretty good, but I've just started to play around with it to see what it can do. So, for those of you who have had an opportunity to compare the M300 to one of the entry-level Lexi units, how would you say they compare, sound-wise? Are the 'verb sounds different enough that it would be useful to have both? What applications does the M300 seem to work especially well on? I've heard that TC Electronics put quite a bit of work into the drum rooms, for example.

Thanks,
Brad

I haven't ever done a side by side comparison, but my feeling of the general quality and usefullness is that they are similar. None of them have that thick lush the PCM units have, though.

The M-300 is thereby slightly better bang for the buck. And the delays are very good too.

regebro said:
I can second the M300.

And don't bother about counting bit depth. At 16 and over the algorithms are vastly more important to sounds than bits.

The M300 is 24bit at the s/pidf i/o's, or are you saying that that's not a factor.

regebro said:
I haven't ever done a side by side comparison, but my feeling of the general quality and usefullness is that they are similar. None of them have that thick lush the PCM units have, though.

O.K. So, it would basically be more of what I've already got. That's cool. I'll just save that money to put towards a Kurtzweil Rumour. :)

Thanks,
Brad

(edit for spelling)

Last edited:
Back