Order of events?

McParadigm

I splurged a bit and picked up some plugins. Up until now I've been pretty haphazard about it all. I had a few, which were used sparingly...now that I'm buckling down, this is the set and order I was planning to use:

1. Steinberg Denoiser
2. Timeworks Compressor X
3. Timeworks EQ
4. Vintage Warmer
5. PSP 84
6. Steinberg Reverb
7. Sonitus Limiter

Anything about that order or selection that's problematic or, potentially, incorrect?

I splurged a bit and picked up some plugins. Up until now I've been pretty haphazard about it all. I had a few, which were used sparingly...now that I'm buckling down, this is the set and order I was planning to use:

1. Steinberg Denoiser
2. Timeworks Compressor X
3. Timeworks EQ
4. Vintage Warmer
5. PSP 84
6. Steinberg Reverb
7. Sonitus Limiter

Anything about that order or selection that's problematic or, potentially, incorrect?

I'm not familiar with most of those plugins, but it may be easier to look at it this way:

1. Remove noise
2. Compress track after noise has been removed (will probably bring the remaining noise up even more)
3. EQ
4. "Warmness" I think this plugin is a compressor too?
5. Don't know what that is
6. Reverb
7. Limiter for loudness

For one, there is no "set" order but there is a pretty logical order you can use for effects. I don't see anything really problematic with what you have listed. However, it is a lot of steps which can make the audio sound overprocessed/harsh/"digital".

With that said, I might experiment with switching 1 & 2 around and see which works best. Maybe you might want to compress it then remove the noise. The PSP vintage warmer (if it is a compressor) might also bring the noise up more.

Avoid using any kind of noise removal period. There shouldn't be too much noise in the recording to begin with. Get that problem under control.

Another thing I might experiment with is the last 2, try putting the reverb last. Monitor the levels to make sure the reverb isn't adding any gain and causing the limited signal to clip.

Just my 2¢.

Back