Options for Acoustic Treatment for Window Behind Monitors

Nate74

HR4FREBR
In my 10'x16' room, I have 7 - 4" thick (2'x4') bass traps and 3 - 2" thick (2.5'x2.5') difusser panels at the early and primary reflection points. I also have 2 2" thick (2'x4') clouds above my mixing position.

The one are of the room that has always concerned me though is a 3' x 6' window that is about 18" behind my monitors. It currently has blinds in it, which are usually closed when I'm recording due to glare, etc.

I'm wondering if this is causing a reflection issue? I've considered building another absorber 2" thick 3'x6' and hanging it in front of the window when I'm recording/mixing/etc. I could also use such a panel as spot treatment in my live (living) room when I record drums or vocals in there.

Is there reason for concern with having 18sqft of glass 18" behind my monitors? And if so, would a 2" 703 pannel help?

Thanks for your thoughts.

The wall behind the monitors is not as critical as the wall behind you.

What I would suggest is simply exchanging the blinds for some heavy floor to ceiling curtains. You then still have the option of opening them up and they would break up high to mid first reflections.

Cool man, thanks. I found some fairly inexpensive heavy-duty drapes the other day at Walmart, looked like they were from about 1978... would go nicely with my lava lamp.

Cool man, thanks. I found some fairly inexpensive heavy-duty drapes the other day at Walmart, looked like they were from about 1978... would go nicely with my lava lamp.

I have a double window in mine, and brace yourself, the paint scheme is Red with Black trim. Anyhoo I went to Wal-Mart and got some wool blanket throws and had my wife loop it and sew it into curtains, 4$'s a piece and a 13$ curtain rod, both black of course, and it does a good job...I'll post a pic later.

A 2" panel would absolutely help. Not only will it help with focusing the image, but it will also help tame SBIR issue based on proximity of monitors to front wall.

Bryan

Bryan,
Thanks for the input. I have a case of 703 left from my second go-round with bass trap building and more burlap than I know what to do with. I think a 3'x6' might be in my future... though it will block the view of the weeds growing in the backyard:)

Well, if'n ya wanna get fancy....

You can build a pair of smaller frames hinged in the middle - kind of like a folding closet door. That way you can easily hinge them open when you want/need the window and hinge them closed when you want to mix/listen.

Bryan

Well, if'n ya wanna get fancy....

You can build a pair of smaller frames hinged in the middle - kind of like a folding closet door. That way you can easily hinge them open when you want/need the window and hinge them closed when you want to mix/listen.

Bryan

Fancy indeed:)

Back