Opinions Welcome !

music411

Hey everyone, new here !
Been playing lead in bands for years.. just started recording my own band, I'm recording on my laptop with old headphones and no professional training, just lots of studio recording time.
Using - amplitube,
- ez drummer 2
- rocksmith usb cable lol
- rockband mic lol

I'm sure the pros will rear it apart but enjoy my ghetto recording.. any opinions will be helpful lol
Thanks
Cover of - Sic Transit Gloria, by - Brand New

Attachments

• Sic Transit Gloria - Instruments Of War.mp3.mp3
    5.7 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
timing is the first thing that popped out at me. then, the second vocal that comes in sounds as if the singer is two doors down... he needs to get closer to the mic and then you can move him (sonically) with reverb and delays if it isn't far enough. he's way too far away from the mic.

here's one thing that i like... your guitars aren't taking over everything, as most tracks like this feature. you have a good balance between the elements. the guitars and drums actually sound pretty decent as they are (kick needs to come down). the vocals need a lot of work, especially pitch-wise. but yeah, that second vocal needs to be tracked dry as a bone and clean...then do the rest in the mix.

it's clearly catchy, modern, heavy, melodic, and poppy. You've got a great song here, so use the comments and feedback to bring that mix to the next level. I bet you you'll have it sounding sweet in a few months of work.

Feel free to PM me. this is something i would listen to, personally. i can surely help. nice work...great tune

The timing was the first thing I noticed too. The instruments don't sound like they are playing with each other. The background singer sounds like he's down the hall from the lead vocal. That all said, I don't like the song and the sounds you used a lot.

Yeah there are some timing gaks.

The first vocal doesn't sound too bad. I like the voice. The second vocal throws the whole song off. The rest of the band kicking in at that time doesn't help. The second vocal also sounds like it was done on a cheap PC mic. And it's pitchy.

I thought the bass sounded pretty good. I thought the clean-ish guitar playing during the quieter passages sounded pretty good.

The high gain guitar in the louder passages was pretty mushy.

Yep, the pitch and timing are gonna be the biggest things you'll want to address. If you don't have the performance you want, every other step of the recording process will be an uphill battle.

"Rockband" as in the video game? That's... not a great microphone. I'd recommend saving up the $150 to get a semi-decent USB interface and an SM-58. (You seem to be aware that your hardware will present a distinct limitation, which is a good place to be starting out.)

Back