"Loud white noise blast" issue

Ricky D

Has anyone here experienced the following, using computer recording software?

I'll be either recording (entering data) or just reviewing (playing back tracks) and all of a sudden, there'll be this HUGE "white noise," like someone triggered a compressed air nozzle right next to your head. Like 125dB. The volume meter will peg on the Master volume control. This will last for 2-3 seconds and then transition into this low Hz tone before stopping.

I'm using PreSonus Studio One Artist 5 but this issue has been plaguing me for over a year, during which it began with Artist v.4 (on a Dell laptop) and also occurred on a new HP laptop from Artist v.4 to v.5.

None of the recorded (saved) data is harmed or corrupted.

Since this problem has occurred across two versions of Studio One and across two laptops, my opinion is this: the only "constant" in this scenario is the Audiobox96 (PreSonus' interface). I have a new one coming by this weekend and I'll see if that solves the issue.

This issue is not really frequent. You could go for a week without it happening. And then it can occur twice in a day.

I'd guess drivers being dropped and restarted. When I run Cubase, and then start soundforge - normally all works perfectly, but a few times a week, sound forge starting up seems to object - I think, but havn't proved yet that Soundforge opens the last project, unless you close down open projects before quitting, and if the cubase sample rate is 48K, and the last soundforge project was 44.1K then there will be that very loud noise burst, and then I get a pop up, oddly from Cubase, asking if I want to change the project sample rate. If after the noise, I say no - then cubase remains playing and sound forge is NOT able to play the track back. If all the projects are the same sample rate I don;t get the nboise burst, but when I'm using olde projects at different settings, I get the nasty noise. Lasts maybe 2 seconds and then the driver drops.

Did you ever try uninstalling and deleting the AI drivers, then downloading and installing new ones?
No, I haven't. You're the first to suggest that. Thank you.
I'm actually a bit surprised that PreSonus didn't think of that.

Last edited:
Back