Could I get some helpful critique/thoughts? Amanda cover...

BoneDigger

Although I'm not necessarily a newbie, I am certainly a rank amateur at all of this. I recorded a cover of Amanda (the country song recorded by Waylon Jennings/Don Williams, etc.) in my home studio. The drums are EZ Drummer but the rest is all me. I recorded the bass guitar, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, singing, etc. as separate tracks then mixed them using Mixcraft. The female vocals are from a friend of mine in Ireland (I'm in Texas). I know I'm not the best singer or musician, but if I could get tips on the mixing aspect of this? Specifically the EQ, the levels, the panning, etc.? If there are any specific questions about any aspect (i.e., how a track was recorded,) just let me know. I'm a bit nervous about getting taken apart, but it's all about learning right?

This is a new link after some modifications:

Amanda by Todd McMakin

I appreciate any input!

Todd

Last edited:
Todd , I think you did a pretty good job on this mix. The only things that really stood out as really needing some attention was the excessive fx on the dobro sounding guitar break , and the female vocal mix. Her voice really needs thinning out. The bass and even low mids. need dropped a lot. It was distracting when she came in. Good job on the instruments. mark

Todd , I think you did a pretty good job on this mix. The only things that really stood out as really needing some attention was the excessive fx on the dobro sounding guitar break , and the female vocal mix. Her voice really needs thinning out. The bass and even low mids. need dropped a lot. It was distracting when she came in. Good job on the instruments. mark

Thanks for the comments. For the guitar part, I was using a Flanger, trying to emulate the guitar on the Waylon Jennings version (see below). You can hear the guitar around 1:03 on the following video.

Waylon Jennings - Amanda - YouTube

I am really interested in any additional comments on the backup vocals. As I mentioned, this lady is a friend of mine that helps me write songs. She is in Ireland and I am in Texas. She purchased a Tascam DR05 to record it with but has no sound proofing in her house, so there is plenty of ambient reverb, etc. I had to bring the recording in as a .wav file. However, I can adjust the EQ and add additional effects as needed. How would you (or anyone else) recommend adjusting the EQ here? You mentioned the bass and low mids, so I am assuming it's coming in too bass heavy?

Again, I really appreciate the helpful comments!

I think there is still a problem with the way the female vocal sticks out. It doesn't blend in at all. I would try to soften it somehow, possibly add a reverb bus on an AUX track and blend it a bit more wet than dry.

I only hear her coming through on the left. I think she should be centered more so it sounds like she is with you.

Her vocal is not gelling with yours yet. Especially in volume. I would probably compress hers a lot more and mix with just your vocal and hers. Get them sounding right by themselves first. Than bring the mix in (which sounds decent to me) and you will still probably have to adjust but only a little or maybe not at all.

If you don't want her centered right behind the lead you can use delay to widen her part just a little. I would suggest that or get her to double the part. She doesn't have to be very wide but I think around 10% L/R helps the lead continue to always be the centerpiece.

My only other suggestion for the song is that the main acoustics have an effect that is like phasing? It gets old having it through the entire song imo.

Also do the lead vocals get louder towards the end? I think they do. I would adjust that if possible.

That's it though. I think the balance you have is pretty good and works well for this song.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I have updated the links above to a new version of the song. Please feel free to comment if you don't mind listening to it again.

Thanks!

Her vocal in the mix sounds better, now I'm thinking I want to hear more of it throughout the song :listeningmusic:

Back