Open to suggestion - New studio build

Hi again. JF, WARNING...Long reply here.
Let's review some things
1. Where are you located?
Answer..I'm in Sherbrooke Quebec.
Ok

As far as I know, over here, you can make pretty much ANY changes inside your home, so long as you don't touch the structural stuff (support posts and beams)...

Changes? ummm, I thought you were still in the PLANNING stage at this point? Regardless, don't you have to get a Building permit? And if so, don't you have to submit plans for approval?

Q2. What are the proposed basement walls going to be made from..ie..Concrete, Cconcrete block, brick, wood framing or what? And are all these walls below grade?

Answer.
2. Concrete walls with concrete floor. Framing with sprayed (I believe) insulation and gyproc on the inside.

This still doesn't tell me how deep the basement is below the ground(grade). And in regards to the "framing"...where and what are you framing? Do you mean in the area adjacent to the Studio/control room? I'm trying to get a handle on EXACTLY what you are going to build WHEN you build the house. I "assume" when you say framing, this means around the stairway, but how about the wall dividing the studio area from the ...hmmm, let's just call that area the "lounge" for now. You mentioned a bathroom too. Is that still part of the design that is going to be built when you build the house? If so...WHERE???

Jf, I really need to know this stuff. For instance, when you say .
." with sprayed (I believe) insulation and gyproc on the inside.
Again, WHERE???
You see, I can't show you specific details if I don't know what is actually going to be done. In this case, IF, the concrete walls are below grade, I ASSUME the contractor will SEAL and INSULATE these walls on the OUTSIDE..which usually means a thick exterior foam insulation over a waterproof seal on the concrete. HOWEVER, you mention "sprayed"..is this on the INSIDE or OUTSIDE? Another quesiton is..IF these walls are below grade, that means they have to remove enough dirt to frame up the concrete forms...which means also...after the forms are removed, then they have to seal and insulate. And THEN backfill with dirt. Is this what's happening? Please, I need to know WHAT is being planned for the interior surface of the concrete walls IN THE STUDIO AREA.

Q-3. Has your designer/architect drawn any details/sections of the basement footing/foundations/slab/wall construction and connections? If so, can you post them?
Answer..
3. The only drawing I have the one I posted a while back that you used to make your first drawing.
That's odd. How does the designer specifiy to the contractor and building inspection department, EXACTLY what/how things are to be built and or approved, if there's no details? Who is building this? Who specify's the nominal size of structural lumber...like the floor joists???

Q4. Has anyone decided on what type of HVAC you are using?
Answer...
4. We have an air exchanger running through the house, that's all I'd use I think.
HAVE?? Now??? ummm, I'm a little confused.
Regardless, since you are in Canada...and I assume it get's pretty cold there, WHAT are you using for heat? This is what I meant by HVAC...remember..."HEATING,VENTILATION, AIR CONDITIONING"!

5. Has a location for the unit been decided? Or a ducting scheme?
Again..IF you have a Heater...where is it going to be??? And is there any duct work? If so...where???
Answer..
5. No, but man, that makes sense doesn't it. I know I asked about putting it in the garage.
Putting what in the garage?

Jf, this is very important. I assume you want heat/ventilation in the studio. Afterall, since studios are "soundproof", that means the are also.."airproof". Even musicians like to breath and be warm. Which means, IF there is no heater with ductwork, you need to provide a ventilation pathway, AND some form of heat. Hence my questions. Furthermore, you need to seperate these systems as they become flanking paths for sound. Which also means you need to figure out how and where these things physically penetrate the iso shell. As far as I see right now, for both the live room and CR, the only place I see to place SUPPLY and RETURN ducts is in a soffet over the Live room "entrance", with some kind of plenum/baffle to seperate the two systems, perhaps in the area below the stairs. This is WHY I'm saying...now is the time to plan this stuff. Even if you don't plan on Forced air heating, you still need some kind of heat. So...what is your plan...even "eventually"? Btw,

6. I would like to see the actual upstairs plan, as the stairway that is planned may or may not work according to other ideas, which untill I know your answers, I can't be sure of.
(note how my "idea" moves the stairs whereby you may have to have an "L" shaped Stairway with a landing at some point. This is what I am referring to. The reason was to allow a door under the stairway, without increasing Live room length while decreasing CR length, of which framing of this may or maynot be possible due to prior design limitations/upstairs elements. Also, I percieved the possibility of using the space under the stairs for HVAC/Plenum/ducting requirements)
Answer
6. My wife is very understanding with the studio, moving the stairs can't be an option however. Sorry... we'll have to make do! haha.
Ok, got the first floor plan and already worked a few things out from that. But..

.....moving it wasn't what I was thinking. Just modifying the framing. And now that I can see approximately(not in exact inches)where it starts and ends, take a look at what I was referring to.

But this has to do with something else. The support of the first floor across the width of the "lounge" area. More on that later.

7. Is there any plan showing the first floor framing schedule(nominal lumber size)/layout? If so, can you post it? If so, can you include any details/sections? Are there any beams?

7. I will try to attach the plans, kitchen will be different however (same size, but island and cabinets will be moved around...)

The floor framing/support/details/layout/ is all I care about. Again, more on that in the next reply.

8. Are you still working with your designer/architect?

8. Yeah, though she's being really unpleasant right now... she works for our contractor, not us, directly...
Unpleasant huh? Wonder why? Your a client, no?

Ok JF, one more question.
Do you know anything about what slab visqueen/hydrostatic water intrusion prevention the contractor is going to use/do to keep basement dry..through slab and walls. Any plans for a sump pump or anything of that nature?

Well, that's about it for now. As soon as I get some answers, I have a TON of pics and more questions ready for the next post. Later.

Oh, I forgot to upload this. This shows how the stairway wall will become part of a "sound lock" entry to the Live room. However, there are tons of questions to answer before I can actually detail it. This is for illustration only. The devil is in the details and has to do with EXACTLY how the first floor is framed, your answers on the HVAC thing, and a few other things. But I won't go into it untill you answer my previous questions.
Modified Stairway Wall.jpg

I hope I can clarify everything here...

1-. I hope my answer with regards to location was okay.

Yes, I'm still at the planning stage. What I'm saying is once the plans are submitted, as long as they're told something (some kind of room) is going into the basement, you can change the nature, measurements, etc.. at a later date. That's why it got put in there in the first place, because we can't afford to finish the basement right now anyways...

Q2. What are the proposed basement walls going to be made from..ie..Concrete, Cconcrete block, brick, wood framing or what? And are all these walls below grade?

The ceiling of the basement rooms is going to be about 2 feet above ground level. Making the floor 6 feet below. There will be windows. And unfortunately, for resale, the live room will have to have one. However, the back of the house gives to a creek with deer paths... it's quiet, and shouldn't be an issue. I can always insulate for use until the day we sell.

The walls (exterior) of the basement are concrete. The contractor legally has to put framing and gyproc over it. It's spray insulated as well on the inside (between the gyproc and concrete. The rest of the space will be left open. Plumbing "outs" will be placed where we thought of adding a bathroom. Interior walls are unexistent at this point, and will remain this way for another year, possibly. Just one big open room.

The studio walls will not be built, only the exterior covering over the concrete foundation. By this time next year, I'm hoping to save enough scratch to finish the studio, with whatever material we end up deciding here I guess!

Q-3. Has your designer/architect drawn any details/sections of the basement footing/foundations/slab/wall construction and connections? If so, can you post them?
Answer..

There's a concrete slab with a groove at the end, the foundation walls end up being "dropped" (they're poured, but it looks like it's dropped) into them. Kinda "tongue and groove". Reinforced with some steel (walls). The garage floor is double reinforced with steel.

Q4. Has anyone decided on what type of HVAC you are using?
Answer...

Heating for the house will be done through baseboards. Air exchanger will just circulate the air around, so this will draw from upstairs, bring back down, etc... and to the outside. No air conditionning, because we're po'....

5. Has a location for the unit been decided? Or a ducting scheme?
Again..IF you have a Heater...where is it going to be??? And is there any duct work? If so...where???
Answer..

No scheme for ducting that I'Ve seen. I don't know if they were planning on running, or at least not at this time, ducts for the air exchanger, since there will be no rooms in the basement this summer. Heat again, by baseboards. I realise the air thing. I guess during breaks we can open a window... odds are, like i said, I'll be the primary user with my band. Once the odd contracts start pouring in (right) I might have to accomodate a little more. But possibly, next year, when we build the walls, we'll consider air excahgner ducts. So nothing yet, but let's think about it.

6. I have no idea how to modify the framing, but it looks like you thought of that already.

7. Is there any plan showing the first floor framing schedule(nominal lumber size)/layout? If so, can you post it? If so, can you include any details/sections? Are there any beams?
Did I not post one already, let me know if I haven't. There's a beam running the back of the garage wall, across the "lounge" area.

8. Are you still working with your designer/architect?

8. Yes, still talking with architect, must finalize plans this week.

No sub pumps, we have a weeping tile around the foundation. Essentially, a piping running around the foundation, with crushed rock (gravel) over it for two feet, then some sand. There's a membrane around the pipe so stuff doesn'T get in. Negative slope as it runs off to the street, sewer or property line.

Hi. Ok, I'll extrapolate this stuff as best I can, and offer some ideas to possibly implement during construction. I just want you to know, If ANY one understands financial limitations..it's ME. In that regards, my purpose is to show you a few options to save money NOW. Unfortunately though, some of this will only save money if done while building..not after. One thing, I'm trying to help you the best way I can, but can only be effective when I have information. However, if and when it becomes problematic for you...just say the word and I'll butt out.

There's a concrete slab with a groove at the end, the foundation walls end up being "dropped" (they're poured, but it looks like it's dropped) into them. Kinda "tongue and groove". Reinforced with some steel (walls).

:eek: Does that mean the contractor is "manufacturing" the concrete walls OFFSITE? And then lifting/dropping them in place? If so, for residential, that seems a little offbeat. Never encountered that in residential construction before.
Well, that may have a bearing on a few things I was going to suggest..at least as far as Isolation is concerned. But it sounds as if Isolation isn't a big concern for you anyway. At least at this point. Unfortunately, discovering "after the fact" hindsight or underestimating others tolerance for noise may be rather expensive to implement later. Regardless, I'm going to show you some things that you may not think is needed anyway. At least you will see what is possible, even if you can't afford to do them. This way, you have options, even if you decide they are financially unfeasible at the present. Some of this stuff you could do over a period of time too. But what's important, is the planning, so nothing is left to chance. Once certain options are decided, then we can do the detail stuff as you get to it....as long as you have a "coherent" overview of what has to be done as you build.

The contractor legally has to put framing and gyproc over it. It's spray insulated as well on the inside (between the gyproc and concrete. The rest of the space will be left open.
Well, this is where "contractor based" decisions and "studio construction" get's tricky. You have to become a real aggressive "overseer" of what the contractor does in regards to this "framing and gyproc" in the Studio/control room areas. Especially if you really accept the idea of "separate" Live room/Control Room concept. And this is where push comes to shove.

You REALLY have to decide now to either abandon this concept from the outset, or adhere to it all the way through. Which means in reality..you need to DICTATE..either by verbal or documented information...EXACTLY what you want done...NOT what he THINKS needs to be done. Remember, contractors are there to make money..PERIOD. They don't give a damn about "your" ideas or wants or needs. So, it's up to you, as their CLIENT..to present a coherent set of plans/and details (of the Studio part) to him, and let him know that if it isn't done correctly, you have the authority to make him TEAR IT OUT!!! And believe me...you wouldn't be the first to go through this either. Contractors routinely cut every conceivable corner they can to make a buck. Not only that, but you need to invest some time making sure that what you finally decide to build(from the options), will pass code. I can only offer suggestions. I can't legally define what is or what is NOT legally acceptable, as I am not licensed to do so. With that in mind, I also submit my disclaimer of any responsibility, should you build things per my suggestions, WITHOUT gaining official endorsement via approval of methods/materials/etc. by way of permit/inspections. :)

Did I not post one already, let me know if I haven't.
Nope, you didn't. You did supply a "plan", but that doesn't show me anything as far as the floor framing is concered. However......
There's a beam running the back of the garage wall, across the "lounge" area.
That's EXACTLY what I thought. So, can you tell me a few things. If you indeed do have a framing plan, or schedule or whatever, can you determine which of these four possible framing scenarios have been detailed. 1, 2 , 3 or 4?......

4 Floor Framing Options.jpg

I assume it's number 1, but assumptions suck. Anyways, there's a couple of other important details I need to know as well.

1 The nominal dimensions of this beam and the floor joists.
2. Do the floor joists "hang" from the beam via metal hangers(or other mechanism), like this...
View attachment 71594

or do or the joists "rest" on top of the beam? Like this shows...
Beam below Joists.jpg

Does your framing plan show any connection details? Like what supports the ends of the beam?
Alright, I'm outta time for the moment.

Ok JF. I'll be back soon with some more pics and questions. Later.

Oh, btw. Do you have ANY construction experience? Or skillsets/tools?

First and foremost, you are restoring my faith in human beings. Thank you so much for all the time you are spending on this. Unbelievable.

Ask for anything in terms of information, I can only hope to be able to provide you with what you need.

I see that I did not explain well what the foundation looks like. Here's something off the APCHQ (his... association) website.detail-f1b_2.jpg

THey are poured, not prefab. Coffered with steel on the inside, I believe.

I'll follow what you suggest. THey are leaving the basement as bare as possible. The insulation in the basement is solely for the purpose of not having a freezing house in the winter. The basement will be cooler, but being only on basement would be really cold, and possibly lead to condensation on the cement. Our contractor has built a few studios for other musicians, and home theatre rooms. He's good about meeting his customers' needs, from all the ones we've spoken to. I'm not worried about him doing what I've asked. Also that our submissions have changed about ten times, same for the house plans, as we keep trying to adjust our budget... so if I say something, he'll do it, I have no doubt.

Based on all the houses I've see, I'm going to go with option 1, although I have not seen a plan that shows this information. I assume, as well, that everyone has a love of symmetry as I do, and so they would all go in the same direction. Just checked in my folks' basement, I believe they would be lying on top of the beam, and are usually fixed at the end with a metal slot that's nailed at the end. He usually insulates the hell out of there at the end so cold doesn't slip in. He also uses putty or silicone between the stud ends and bottoms to prevent creeking, air slippage and create a good seal in the wall. The Beam is 8 inches by 4 I believe and the joists are 2 by 8.

Other than what I've already written, I do not know more. I can ask questions though, if I know what to ask... As for construction experience, except for the obvious physical normalcy of not having two left hands, I don't have a huge skillset to work with. That being said, I'm planning on building miniature houses for the homeless with my students next year, but I'm a little arrogant that way. I play many sports (competitively most of them), so I'm physically coordinated, and I teach math, so I should be able to do this. But for some reason, things always seem to go wrong... I'm building electric guitars now with the students, for charity, and things are going... okay for me. But I'm always up for a challenge, and my uncle built his own house (and is building an extension), and my father in law is quite handy.

By the way, béton is concrete. Dalle is slab. Gravier is gravel. Polyethelene is the same thing... Semelle is sole. Pare-vapeur is vapor lock. Tuyau de drainage is a weeping tile, with geotextile fabric to prevent roots and sand going in... You get to learn french too!

:eek: OUTSTANDING!!:D OK! That's exactly what I needed. Thanks

First and foremost, you are restoring my faith in human beings. Thank you so much for all the time you are spending on this. Unbelievable.
OMG.:o You're entirely welcome. Lot's more to come. Btw, we'll have this nailed down soon. At least to the point you can actually make some decisions before this is built.

Be back soon.

:facepalm:God do I hate the "attachment" process. The size in the "preview" is NOT the same as it appears when you finally "submit". I don't know who the webmaster is, but this whole attachment thing sucks.:rolleyes: Even the "stickys".

Sorry, can't say what it is. WAIT. Is this one of those ESP things?... hmmm, a green light shade?

Holy cow. Didn't see that reply untill now.

No, because the picture doesn't show... it's one by one pixel... that's pretty small! lol
:facepalm: I don't know what's going on, but I just looked at my last post with the picture of your detail, and it FILLS the screen. I suspect either your software is doing something weird, or mine is. Ok, I'm going to post it one more time...but this time from my host server instead of my computer. How's this...

View attachment 71785

Holy fuck. It didn't even post. That's it.:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

HEY WEBMASTER..GIT OFF YOUR LAZY ASS AND FIX THIS FUCKING SHIT OR I'M OUTTA HERE!!!!

I sincerely try to help people here, and since the owner of this site makes money by virtue of all the members posting an enormous amount of help here, I feel like my contributions help YOU make money. But since you are not trying to help me help you, then fuck you.

Your "attachment process literally sucks. It doesn't work. So unless you immediately fix this damn thing(I've been bitching for three months!!!), I'm not going to waste my time helping you make money anymore. However, your complacency speaks loud and clear. Either you are ignoring my request..OR..someone's got their head up their ass.

JF, I'm sorry, but I can't continue to waste my time trying to post pic after pic after pic. If the damn owner or webmaster can't or won't fix this fucking problem..then either we'll have to continue on another forum, or via email. Or you can simply let your thread die. Frankly, it's up to you. Let me know what you want to do. I have a ton of stuff to post, but was waiting for an answer to my last question. Now five fucking days have elapsed...simply because of this damn problem. I can't waste anymore time. And I suspect...neither can you. Anyway, let me know.

Why? The problem isn't MY hosting site. The problem stems from HR. I post picture files on other forums daily and have NEVER encountered any problem what so ever.

Why? The problem isn't MY hosting site. The problem stems from HR. I post picture files on other forums daily and have NEVER encountered any problem what so ever.
Right but this site is fucked right now. Complaining ain't fixing it - I've tried as well - so use an alternative like photobucket which works just fine or quit out of spite.

Well Fitz, I'll leave it up to you, because you're the one offering the help!
I can go by email. My laptop is attached to my hip, so I check my emails about ten times a day... if you do want to go this way, I'll give you my old address (so I don't get SPAMed like crazy), and I'll resend you my actual address.
Let me know. I certainly don't want you to feel frustrated by this!

Back