Open the Door

It sounds really good on my bluetooth speaker. It doesn't need further tweaking, but if you where going to try something I'd say increase the lead vocal by .5-1.0 decibel, and perhaps change the tone of the vocal & keys during the two change ups that occur, they sounded a little jarring compared to the rest of the song. So maybe give them a warmer smoother sound. Good work!

Thanks fellas...yeah VomitHat...I thought the bass was weird too. Ends up it was boosted by 3db in a trim plug. That's way too much. Fixed it.

Really like this. The only thing I considered tweaking, if the mix were in front of me, was that xylophone-type instrument (3:23, for example), as it sounds a little warbly and undistinguished. Otherwise, geez this is real good. Oh, and I'd consider changing the bass groove up a bit too. I know it does other things at points, but maybe change it up more often.

Liked it so much, off to check out more stuff from you. Awesome work Monkey

edit: third listen, I can imagine a harder rock version of this, a la' The Killers. Droning distorted guitars, synths, megaphone vocals, etc.

Thanks andrush...I'd sure change up the bass no worries...but my house is packed up and all my stuff is in storage now coz I'm leaving to work overseas. Thanks for your kind words!

Thanks andrush...I'd sure change up the bass no worries...but my house is packed up and all my stuff is in storage now coz I'm leaving to work overseas. Thanks for your kind words!

Did you hear that other instrument I mentioned? The xylophone thing? Can you get it more clear and decipherable?

Did you hear that other instrument I mentioned? The xylophone thing? Can you get it more clear and decipherable?

Yeah the glockenspiel...yeah I can hear it. It's in the back a bit...I don't want it too present. It's just a minor flavour in the overall scheme. At least, that was my intention. It's only there in the chorus sounding sections.

I could sure try mixing it more up front though...eventually...when I get back from working overseas. Might be a while though!

Yeah the glockenspiel...yeah I can hear it. It's in the back a bit...I don't want it too present. It's just a minor flavour in the overall scheme. At least, that was my intention. It's only there in the chorus sounding sections.

I could sure try mixing it more up front though...eventually...when I get back from working overseas. Might be a while though!

Just clear is what I meant. Doesn't have to be up front. I can't make out much of the notes or melody it's playing. No worries. Great tune, nevertheless. Even with you and your indistinguishable glockenspiels!! Damn you!

I think a vibraphone would fit nicely here. Some nice, mellow tones - mostly whole and half-notes. Nothing too busy.

Just clear is what I meant. Doesn't have to be up front. I can't make out much of the notes or melody it's playing. No worries. Great tune, nevertheless. Even with you and your indistinguishable glockenspiels!! Damn you!

lol no worries. My glockenspiel and I will make changes when we get the chance!

I thought this was good. Guitars sound good. Vocal has a strange reverb on it, but it worked well.

My only suggestions would be to lower the gutiars just a bit. They're covering the vocal just a bit.

I might also take some low end off of the guitars to give the bass a little more space.

Both of those would only be slight changes.

Great song and the mix sounds great too.

In headphones everything seems perfect, but on speakers I heard a slight hizz noise on the S’s at about 1.30...“please dont apoSHen? to me” English is not my mother tongue so... ?

Cool tune and great vocal! I dig the style.

I'd second the suggestion to change up the bass pattern a bit if you get the chance. That's the only thing that got a bit old to me.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks very much for the advise and observations. I'll change the bass up in either 2 or 4 years. Depends on how many contracts I do overseas. I won't have a studio for a while. :/

I like the song and performances. As others have said, it's bassy. Two things jump out: First, I had trouble following the lyrics. You might mix for better intelligibility. Second, the whole things seems hyped in the midrange to the point where there are many harsh and piercing sounds. Listen carefully to the lead vocal for example. Is all this midrange hype from something you are doing on the master bus? Hope to hear the revised version.

The very last thing I want to do is make my lyrics crystal clear. That's not my bag, man. It's a song, not an elocution lesson. Yeah, it's a rough, hurried mix. I won't be remixing it for 2 or maybe 4 years as I'm going overseas for work and won't have access to anything studio-wise. I don't think anyone said it was 'bassy'. They said the bass was repetitive. There's nothing on the master bus apart from about 2db compression. The whole song is just a bit off in terms of what you're talking about. And it's probably accentuated on this playback environment or that playback environment and to a greater or lesser extent on others.

Edit: Made changes based on what Robus advises.

Last edited:
Back