Open Office

ecc83

Anyone here use it? I have for years but now it is giving me all kinds of grief.

Dave.

I started with OpenOffice may years ago, then I switched to LibreOffice. I have not had issues, but I am not writing much in the way of documents these days. I am using Notes on my phone and tablet for most of my lyrics. I do transfer them to Libre when I am completing.

I haven't used either for a few years. Will likely want to again though when I retire and dump my Office 365 accounts.
What grief are you experiencing?

Hi Dave, I have used it for years but recently the text 'page' had become smaller and when I typed anything in it the letters were sub 1mm high. I was fooling with it today to try to fix it and suddenly the page filled the screen and the top buttons were gone, so was the X top right to shut it down. Task manager also did not help. I closed the laptop lid then opened it again and was told "open office is preventing shutdown" and invited me to force shutdown which I did. Did some more fiddling then I decide to uninstall OO and start again. I did so with RevoUninstaller then re installed OO from Ninite.

All went splendidly so I opened the app and started a new file. Just the bloody same, tiny letters and I got locked up a second time. I guess I shall try Libre?

BTW is there a keys shortcut to close a PC down?

Dave.

Hi Dave, I have used it for years but recently the text 'page' had become smaller and when I typed anything in it the letters were sub 1mm high. I was fooling with it today to try to fix it and suddenly the page filled the screen and the top buttons were gone, so was the X top right to shut it down. Task manager also did not help. I closed the laptop lid then opened it again and was told "open office is preventing shutdown" and invited me to force shutdown which I did. Did some more fiddling then I decide to uninstall OO and start again. I did so with RevoUninstaller then re installed OO from Ninite.

All went splendidly so I opened the app and started a new file. Just the bloody same, tiny letters and I got locked up a second time. I guess I shall try Libre?

BTW is there a keys shortcut to close a PC down?

Dave.
That's whacky, and you did everything I would have as well. What PC OS are you on? Is there an older version of OO you can try?

Bottom right.
1714754513144.png

Also, if you hit full screen, try ESC to get it back to Windowed screen.

Would not have worked DM60 since OO covered the whole screen including the taskbar. I have found out that Alt+F4 gets you to a shut down screen in W10.

Thanks chaps, going to give LibreOffice a do the morrow.

Dave.
Best of luck sir!

I only use MSOffice for Word and Ecel. I am still running 2003 or 2007 versions. Will those files work in Libre Office?

Back