One down one to go

Sweet! (Good call and catch Ghost)

(I could have sworn he had the 312A.. Oh wel,l I hope he sees the thread before ordering one.)

Hey Herm, I never saw the post (Till now) where you said that you got to Deltronics and it was a nail salon! LOL
(You must have been pissed! LOL)
Sorry dude, but it was the address on their website.

LET'S GO CUBS!
:)

Yes i have used it few times and it works fine.
I havnt used this board with the 388 cause the 388 is set up in the live room for me to use on little things. Thats why I am going to get a phantom unit for it plus It would be nice for live stuff.

Ya know I was wondering if any of the rest of you are like this but I want to use my stuff but then I hate to put the hours on the machines. Isnt that terrible?
Iv never been that way about any of my other gear and have never been the type to baby a piece of gear but I guess it has something to do with there not being any new analog gear like this to play with.

Oh cool...

I was just like making sure the info on the phantom power from Ghost in this thread didn't get washed under by the other threads.

You know, now that you mention it, I've been having a weird out somewhat myself (Not exactally the same)...
I've been wary of using my 38.. Not that I could really use it until I got a board anyway, but I just have somekind of block in my mind that it's fragile or something, which makes no sense considering the head block of my porta is super glued back together and could go at anytime, yet I'd used it without even thinking.
(Since I haven't recorded ANYTHING on the 38 yet, I have this "Thing" I have to get over about it maybe not doing exactally what it should... I think part of it is like I've tricked myself into waiting for someone to yank the carpet out from under my feet kind of, because I'm not used to having things that I've always wanted and I won the 38 in a writing contest, so it was free and that makes it feel even more like I'm gonna wake up and go "Oh, It was all just a damn dream!" and "Poof" gone... weird huh?

GO CUBS

Not using the gear is more harmful then good.

In tape decks, belts stay more pliable with use and don't get flat spots from sitting idol. Motors and many other moving parts stay lubed with use.

In the electronics, circuitry is designed to stay warm are thermally stable. Turning stuff on and off creates thermal cycling that is more harmful then just leaving the stuff on all day if you are tracking.

The only thing that is really going to degrade with use are the heads and bearings and considering that most of us are using vintage pro or near pro grade analog equipment, the hours we put on the stuff are a mere fraction of what a working, 24/7 studio would put on the equipment.

The term, Use it or loose it seems to fit here.

Cheers! :)

Oh yeah,

(Herm) I meant to ask you if you had, needed or want the documentation that comes with the DX-4D... I think I have two and can mail you one if you need or would like one.

I know once I get that first song started I'll forget about whatever I was worrying over and be recording like 8-10 hours a day without looking back. (I have soooo many new tunes in the hopper that I want to do...Maybe even do "Right" too!) Just gotta get started.

Go Cubs

Okay: Low use vintage gear/gear wear phobia,...

are like two sides of the same coin. Consider, that if the previous owner had used the gear very hard & very often, then we would not be scoring the "mint" vintage items, like we are.

So, you score a 20 year old machine, that has the realistic equivalent use on it of a 1 or 2 year old machine, and of course, it's natural to NOT want to used it, wear it out, or adulterate it in any way, lest we don't have a "mint" machine any more. A paradox, indeed. This, of course, is a natural protective instinct, but at a certain point, the pedal must hit the metal, and the rubber must meet the road,... otherwise, you got yourself a 70 lb doorstop or paperweight,... or 3-D sculpture, at best.

Use it!

I know, I'm the WORST about this. I literally have DOZENS of viable tape recorders, the bulk of them DON'T get used, for the most part because I don't have my "chops" worked up, worthy of recording. And, like you, there's something inside us all that doesn't want to put wear or smudges on an otherwise pristine and mint machine. However, it's inevitable.

As for me, like I said, I hardly ever record, despite being FULLY LOADED on gear, tape, accessories, instruments, etc. I do practice, however, mostly just going through the motions, with no musical framework whatsoever.

SO, I TOO just decided to SET UP, TUNE UP, LOAD TAPE, and PRESS THE RED BUTTON! Just last night, I brought my LIKE-NEW-ultra-MINT 488MKii into the bedroom, set it on a firm box on the bed, tuned and plugged my guitar, and recorded 4-simul tracks of guitar onto the 8-track cassette. No rhyme, no reason, but I was rolling tape.

It's funny, that as "smooth" it seems my playing is when I'm just "noodling around", when you press RECORD, it seems that there's a self-conciousness that sets in,... yes,... even for me, a 20+ year recording veteran. I choke just like it was my first time recording.

Well, FWIW, I know what you mean, by having this desire to record, and yet not wanting to put any unecessary wear on the machine. But, it's inevitable, you MUST RECORD.

Keep in mind, that if you're only using your machine sporadically, there's really not a lot of wear you're putting on the unit. If, however, you're using your machine 8 hours a day of hardcore recording, of course there's some wear that gets put on the machine.

Again, it's inevitable: You MUST RECORD.

Otherwise, take up knitting, golf or tiddley winks!;)

Oh man Reel you cracked me up!

"..,but at a certain point the pedal MUST hit the metal.."

ROFLMAO!!
It just strikes me as funny, but never the less very very true.

IN OTHER NEWS:
I too used to have that kind of stage fright apprehension when the red lights were blinking and it was "Go time" after I hit record, but now I kind of thrive on it or something.

The simplest of things changed my feeling on that apprehension...
I read an article/Interview with Jimmy Page and basically he said "You don't want to get good at being a one take player of boring shit...YOU WANT that nervous energy to comes across as part of the playing 'cus it's out on the edge and alive and in order to use it as a tool you don't change your feelings on playing, you simply change your view of the stop, rewind, record button... It is your friend NOT your enemy."

At the time I was like "Whoa! Jimmy Page knows EXACTALLY what I'm feeling AND how to "Fix" it!!"

Let's go Cubs...Tonight!

Last edited:
It's funny, that as "smooth" it seems my playing is when I'm just "noodling around", when you press RECORD, it seems that there's a self-conciousness that sets in,... yes,... even for me, a 20+ year recording veteran. I choke just like it was my first time recording.

I know that feeling intimately!

In many ways, it's like meeting a girl that you really love and are scared to tell her how you feel. You can practice your lines in the mirror but, seeing her face to face is like how I feel when I hit the record button. It's show-time!:eek:

of coarse in real life if you screw up, she slaps your face and runs, screamin' away but, in the studio, you can just RTZ and make love all over again.

Cheers! :)

Back