One down one to go

Unfortunately No. (And I'm a bit pissed about it too! ) LOL

First my Cubs lose, then due to circumstances beyond my control I couldn't go.

I'll be there Monday when they open though.

:(

Hey Reel,

I was rocking out to your tunes page!

That Neal Young cut is pretty cool.
I like your playing on the Fleetwood Mac tune alot too...
I never REALLY listened to the chord progression against the bassline of the that song. You did a really nice job of re-creating the mood and nuances of it.

:)

Thank you!

Er,... uh,... I think that's Neil Diamond, but what's one Neil from another? Heh.

Yeah, that Fleetwood Mac tune is pretty groovey. Yes, groovey. I said groovey! "Sarah",... man, that's an '8-track-flashback' if there ever was one! For me, personally, it's reminiscent of [when we were in love] my old band days, [singer/drummer was live-in girlfriend], but in retrospect, it's a pretty darn good production, if I do say so myself. You're right, the higher parts of the melody groove against that solid, groovey bass line. Groovey! I said it again! Ha.

Thanx for visiting my NWR page. It's a long list of rock tunes that should keep you entertained, almost nonstop, or so is my intention. It's just good time rock & roll covers, done in the spirit of the original songs, tribute-style, and purely just for fun!

Anyway, there's LOADS more in the archives that's NOT on the NWR page, which I may add to or update again soon.

Beyond that, I'm trying to practice regularly enough to produce something new, maybe soon. I have a creative block, of sorts, but I'm still plugging away with the best of intentions. It seems very hard for me to find solid inspiration, enough to come up with a whole, complete production, but I'm working slowly toward that.

I find my inspiration in the songs that I love, and there's a certain excitement I get from producing a really good cover. Even though it's long in coming for inspiration to hit me, I'm still practicing and going through the motions, and hopefully come up to speed on some new covers, TBD. However, when the inspiration grabs me, and it's really solid, then I'm like a freight train of production.

With so many darned things that normal life brings, it's hard to keep on track, but I'm slowly but surely getting back on it.

It's like, I have to find a song that I'm really in love with, and excited about producing my own version, mostly for personal pleasure, no doubt, but I always get a vicarious thrill if other people listen and like it. I guess that's normal, eh?

F/I, way back when,... I was very excited about that whole 4-cd project I produced and GAVE out to EVERYONE, for which I got LOADS of appreciation,... and most people liked it a lot, which of course is very gratifying, considering that I do home recording basically by myself, for my own enjoyment.

Anyway, you guys are home recordists, and I'm sure you know what I mean.

Thanx again!!! Go back & listen more soon!!

;)

Opps. I meant the CSN (& Young?) tune, but "Solitary man" was cool too. (Please-Let me know if you ever up load another batch of tunes.)

Okay, yeah, that's "Long Time Gone", by CSN.

That has to be one of the grooviest tunes ever!

That cut [Long Time Gone] is the second most recent recording I did, huh, yeah,... last November. The most recent full production I did was "Moonage Daydream", in February. Like I said, I'm working on my next epic production.

When I review my stuff, it's always that I feel "my latest is my greatest", which technically is probably true, with exceptions of course, but I always feel like my most recent stuff is my best, and my favorite too. However logical that is, it's how I've always felt. So, as I do songs, I really feel like I'm somehow topping the last one, or carrying my craft further, so to speak.

Anyway, agreed, that "Long Time Gone" is a great cut, and being the second most recent tune I recorded, it's still one of my absolute best and favorite recordings! I did a first version recording of "Long Time Gone" on an ALL DIGITAL SETUP previous to the 388 cut. In retrospect, it's sad & embarassing how really bad version 1 is, especially as compared to version 2! Not only is the recording quality SO much different, being digital, but my PERFORMANCE of the song was at it's first stages, & not quite there. Believe me, the 388 version 2 of "Long Time Gone" on NWR is a GEM compared to the previous digital 'version 1'. Version 1 was the warmup, and I ended up putting a lot more time & effort on the version 2 of "Long Time Gone", and you can hear it.

[OT] I really goofed up the 8-track master on "Moonage Daydream". After the point that I made my "final" mixdown, the one on NWR, I later wanted to continue reworking the recording. At a certain point previous, I had ERASED the click track, which was a BIG mistake. Then, I wanted to redo the guitar one more time, and the whole thing went to shit without the click,... considering the smashing intro of the song, & it all has to be really tight. Then, to make things worse,... I could have probably fixed the guitar with more rework, but I fat-fingered it, and corrupted the BASS line on the other track! GOD, I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS!

Anyway, I endeavored to recreate the "Moonage Daydream" cut again from scratch, but the whole thing had run it's course, & the project ran out of steam. I'm sure I could produce another great cut of "Moonage Daydream", but I'm pretty satisfied with the "final" mix I got, and I've moved on to other songs for the time being. I may do new take on "Moonage Daydream" at some future time, because there's more in the original production than my relatively stripped version. [HINT: Would sound good on the 24-track!]. I've taken songs I know, and have done numerous productions of them, over the years. You'd laugh your ass off-crying, if you heard my Feb-03 / 388 production of "Moonage Daydream" stacked back to back with my 1983 / 244 production of it!

The moral of the story is: don't erase your click track, if at all possible; don't be tired, overtaxed or in a hurry in the recording sequence, and always double-check your settings before hitting "Record" or punching in.:eek:

;)

Last edited:
Oh man, I know the feeling!

I've had a few instances of absent mindedly punching in on my sync track after everything else was done thus creating a mega glitch.

(If you ever want to see a grown man cry just unplugged his sequencer after several hours of programming.)

Is that a real bass on "Mother's little helper"?

Oh yeah, are you kidding me? Real bass? Of course it's real!

I don't think I have any synth or sequenced parts in my recordings.

Even the "organ" sound is analog electronic keys, Casiotone 101, the oldest Casio ever, with the WOOD sidepanels!;)

Ears, man,... ears.

I just use my ears, stealth technique, moderate EQ, mic mixed with all line-in sounds as a rule, & there'ya go.

F/I, when I did the guitars and the bass on "Mother's Little Helper", my standard technique is to run the guitar & bass directly into the board, PLUS train a close mic about 6" off the body of the guitar. Experiment around a bit with EQ and how to angle the mic toward the guitar,... MIX FOR BLENDED LIVE SOUND, because something I hate is the notoriously DEAD sound of LINE-IN instruments. Anyway, as a rule, I always mix a close-instrument mic feed with a line-in instrument feed, and even with a close-amp cab mic. With two or three feeds mixed on an instrument, it's possible to get a fat, live sounding track. YMMV.;)

I have been spending most of the day working on a cover tune to put on my 388. And Im not much of a guitar player or bass or key board player. So which Instrument am i having the most problems with on the song I picked out?

Yes its the frickin drums, And thats what i have played for the last
36 years.

Go figure:rolleyes:

Cool, man!

Yeah, that's funny, the things we take for granted. For years I called myself a musician, and then realized I alomost never played or practiced! Ha. Time came to when I wanted to produce, and I could hardly play! Haha! Anyway, for that reason alone, I try to keep up with diligent, if not random, practice.

If it's any consolation to'ya, fwiw, on my tracks I usually struggle with DRUMS the most, too.

F/I, for the rousing production of "I Remember You", my Ramones Tribute CD,... however imperfect it may be in spots,... man, I really worked hard on that, & overall hardest on the DRUMS.

Gosh, I LOVE the drums, but I don't consider myself primarily a drummer. I do, however, always seem to labor the MOST over drums, & drum tracks.

Anyway, for however much it shows, and even though I let flaws through,... I am a bit of a driven perfectionist, when it comes to recording,... uh,... I mean,... within the realistic limits of my own musicianship!

Haha! WTG, & can't wait to hear it, Herm!

That reminds me, I have to log off the 'puter, and get to more real world concerns! Maybe a little work, and then a little play time, practice, and hopefully I'll feel ready to lay down more tracks soon.

I'll check back in here in maybe another hour, & then later in the afternoon!

Think of me doing some chores, cleaning up, and then maybe sitting on the piano & drums, & maybe picking up the guitar a bit, & maybe bass,... if I have my way, & get everything I want to do done today.

Im working on Feeling allright. Its a easy 2 chord song

Kind of a version of a Three dog night and joe cocker mix.

Not going to be able to finish it till I get a darn phantom supply
for my 388 though.
I need to get that ordered

Cool tune.

I've been straining my melon to remember, but I'm 99% sure I've never recorded a cover. Thinking about it, I don't know why I never did one... Now I have to try to come up with one to practice.

Covers are fun, for sure, & a great reference on your playing & production skills.

I've written a handful of "composed" songs, but have uncounted hours of tape that's just noodling around. Sometimes I've come up with progressions, hardly ever hooks or riffs, and less often anything approaching a real "song".

Still practicing, though, fwiw. My practice is most often random, noodling around again. Although I've been able to come up with some cool stuff, I almost never have tape running, so it's never captured.

Mental Note: I really have to concentrate more on music & recording.;)

Herm,

Your M312B has phantom power so just plug your microphone into one of its channels, take the Direct out from the strip and put that into the line input of your 388 channel that you wish to record from and voilà! Phantom power at no extra charge!

Why didn't I think of this before:confused:

Give it a try.

Cheers! :)

I thought Herm has the 312 not the 312b.
(There IS a 312 AND a 312b right?)

(Hey, what is the difference between the 312b and the 320 besides VU meters?)

IT'S GO TIME FOR THE CUBS!!!

Back