Oktave MK012s or Rode NT-5s?

j-boy

I am thinking about getting a matched pair of SDC mic's, just for recording my acoustic guitar in stereo for my personal project studio. I use sampled drums (BFD) so I wouldn't need to mic up drums, that's not a consideration.

Up to now I've used cheap LDCs (MXL-2001) in a close-coincident arrangement. I'm thinking I'll get much better results with decent SDCs in a close-coincident X-Y arrangement.

The prices are about same for these two mic's. Any suggestions which would be better and why?

Can't speak for the NT5's but the Russian Oktava's are great for that job. They start out very well suited for OH work, but if you get a chance to do the Dorsey Mod (though there's rumors that the new Russian ones are already improved in this way) they're a whole new animal.

I have a pair of both.

I give the edge to Oktava because of their modularity. You can get -10db pads and capsules for different patterns.

+1 on the Oktavas. IMO, the NT5's seemed a little hyped in the high end when I gave them a listen. Maybe some like that, but I'd rather it was not. The ability to buy omni capsules or add the pad is a bonus, like AGCurry said. I have 5 Oktava mics and I love them all. The MC012 can actually be a nice vocal mic as well with a good wind screen.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into the Oktavas then. Another question... do you think I would need to get the optional shockmounts for these mic's? It would just be me and my guitar, no other instruments, I don't record with drums going on simultaneously or anything like that. I guess tapping my foot might be the only thing i can think of...

Another big thumbs up for the Oktavas. For shockmounts, try these....
http://www.tensimount.com/ They're inexpensive and work great. I love that they slide right into a standard clip mount, so they go on and off the stand quickly. I've never had one fall out.
Oh, I've got an 012 Omni capsule from the Soundroom, which sounds very good. And they make a LDC capsule called the LOMO head which is essentially a U-87 replacement capsule that screws onto an MK-012 preamp body. I haven't gotten one yet, but I've heard a clip that sounded great.

another vote for the 012...also, look up flatpicker - he's got mods for the 012, and I'm getting mine done as soon as I can scrape up the cash for it.

Jacob

leddy is right, the NT5 is a little bright, and consequently it is very "placement sensitive".......it will sound good, but only if you do the tedious work of finding exaclty the right place to put it. I haven't seen a ton of mics, but the NT5 is the most placement sensitive mic I've ever seen.......

j-boy said:
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into the Oktavas then. Another question... do you think I would need to get the optional shockmounts for these mic's? It would just be me and my guitar, no other instruments, I don't record with drums going on simultaneously or anything like that. I guess tapping my foot might be the only thing i can think of...

As to the shock mounts, I'd look to another brand other than Oktava. The three Oktava mics i own, they all have very cheap metal for their clips which means the threads will strip out before too long. I can imagine the Oktava shock mounts would be the same.

j-boy said:
I am thinking about getting a matched pair of SDC mic's, just for recording my acoustic guitar in stereo for my personal project studio. I use sampled drums (BFD) so I wouldn't need to mic up drums, that's not a consideration.

Up to now I've used cheap LDCs (MXL-2001) in a close-coincident arrangement. I'm thinking I'll get much better results with decent SDCs in a close-coincident X-Y arrangement.

The prices are about same for these two mic's. Any suggestions which would be better and why?

I'd pass on the NT5s and the Oktavas for acoustic guitar. Shoot for the Peluso CEMC6s, or a pair of SM81s or AT's SDs. A bit more $$, but not that much more per mic.

Back