Ok, sampled drums SUCK !

poppycock!

lol.. I can program real sounding drums.. It all depends on how flexible your sequencer is.. I use an MPC4000.. & all the little nuances and sounds that eminate from a real kit can all be programmed as well.. With random results & human feel..

& no it wouldnt be easier for me to go just play them because I'm not a drummer.. I'm a programmer.

IMHO you simply can't program "real" sounding drum tracks by using step recording or quantized recording in any way (including "swing" or "randomizer" settings) in any sequencer. You have to record in real time - period - pads, triggers, keys, or whichever.

I don't have the option to have a real kit in my apartment - if I didn't I probably wouldn't bother with any drum programming at all.

I just picked up a Yamaha DD-50 (ebay 75 bucks) to try with a PC sequencer (best of both worlds, I hope). So far, I'm fairly happy with what I come up with playing it through my drum machine (Zoom 234). As soon as I make a decision on a sample kit, I'll be going that route (until I buy a house, get a real kit, and chuck it all out the window).

I have to agree with Eeldip on this whole slick vs garage production ethic. I have more of a film production background and it was common for low budget films to try and emulate big budget productions and it always fell short of the mark. When a director was realistic and used the financial limitations to encourage creativity the end result was always superior.

A slick production may have a certain appeal at first listen but they tend to get old quickly. A more organic production will tend to have more sonic layers that can yield new nuances with every listen. The tonal variations of a stick beating on a bucket will have alot more texture than some drum sample. I believe your brain thrives on those small and constant variations.

All this assumes a basic level of technical competence, song writing and playing ability. Given all those things being equal I greatly prefer a more natural and organic production.

Listening to the Home Rec compliation CD is a real eye opener. I have found myself skipping most of the synth backed songs but I listen completely to most of the organic productions because they are simply more interesting to my ears.

I know what you mean about organic percussion on a budget. The first demo I ever did had no drum kit or drummer. Most of the songs used midi drums that I programmed in with a mouse. However, on one song I took the only two mics I had access to (a 57 and a Radio shack....thing), an accoustic guitar, and a clarinet case and proceeded to make the most low budget percussion you can possibly imagine. I tapped on the pick gaurd with a pick, slapped my palm on the strings over the sound hole, and threw the Radioshack mic into the clarinet case (forced shut), and stomped the case with my foot. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be my favorite sounding song of the bunch! :)

Back