Ok, our band's first CD recorded in our studio--please, we need suggestions badly!

what's the squeeky sound towards the end of the song? 4:16 till the end? Kick pedal, maybe? That was the first thing I noticed that I found particularly distracting. Otherwise I like the song and recording a lot. And I think the gits could be pushed just a hair back towards ctr, but not too much. 5%, 10% tops.

TravisK said:
And I actually have a big question for all the ones that think the panning is too harsh. I went through my creative micro photo just now, and I have listened to the following.

Weezer - Say It Ain't So
Duckpond - Millencolin
Four Days - Counting Crows (features acoustic and electric)
Kill Me Quickly - Thrice
Too Much - Dave Matthews Band
Ruby Tuesday - The Rolling Stones (though it's strings on left, piano/guitar on right)
Mary Jane's Last Dance - Tom Petty
Ride The Snake - Lagwagon
Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin (in fact, this has some weird ass panning--no other way to put it)
Alien Amplifier - Strung Out

All of those songs feature really hard panned guitars, and many of them do very little of the same thing. I'm not trying to necessarily defend my stance on it, but it seems pretty common amongst all genres. So is this something that just didn't work for this song or is it something that you guys just don't like, including when you listen to any of the bands above?

Thanks!
Travis

I don't think there is anything wrong with the way you panned your guitars. But I never complained about that in my original post. To me you've got to listen to any song you do, and make judgement calls on each song. There is no hard and fast rules about what works or doesn't. A song can work either way as well, it just comes down to preferance half the time. Things can sound very different on headphones compared to Monitors. So it's good to always reference both which you likely do, to make your final judgement calls. If someone is just listening on headphones the stereo field even becomes more exagerated or exact maybe I should say. Generally your average listen who isn't doing a critique on a song is going to be listening without headphones. I had another listen just now, it sounds fine to me. Way to research those other songs.

i can't thank all of you enough for the criticism and kind words. This forum is such a blessing to our studio. I cannot wait to do the next recording and think about all of this. Thanks again guys!

what's the squeeky sound towards the end of the song?

Right guitar harmonic...i never noticed it until you said something...something i should pay attention to next time!

Last edited:
Back