Obtuse, twisted, distorted "Facts" being used in an argument or debate AKA Gas Lighting

Slavery of all colour was and is done by all colours world wide and is still done today. Believe it or not there is another 6.5 billion people of all colours and races in the world besides Americans. The effects and segregation affect those countries in the world as well.

You may be surprised to know that around the world those who enslave are not republicans, conservatives and most likely have never heard of Donald Trump or the Klu Klux clan........and wait for it.............care even less!

A poor person in need is prime picking for anybody so inclined who wants to make money. It's the way of the world and has been for thousands of years.
Again, the context was specifically Juneteenth, which is an American holiday, and the resistance to it IN THE U.S. Even so, it seems you’re trying to minimize the impact of black slavery on blacks in the US because other races and countries do it. That’s kind of messed up.

Here’s what a black man has to say about that subject. He also happens to be a historian

Reactions: TAE
So we have people whose points are wrong who throw insults and call names and you who try's to twist the words of someone to claim they mean other.

I have never mentioned black people in the USA. You were trying to blame 'white' people for slavery. I pointed out that slavery by all colours and races has been done by all colours and races for thousands of years including today.
One more time: my original comment was in response to IBB talking about resistance to Juneteenth, an American holiday. So therefore, the context would be the American slave history, which was white slave owners and black slaves for the most part.

Is that clear? My point was that it seems many conservatives here don’t like the concept that US slavery and segregation has lingering socioeconomic effects on black people today. They don’t want to hear that. They’d rather believe that blacks are inferior. I can’t speak for your country’s race relations. Which races had more slaves etc doesn’t matter to this conversation.

Still grasping? If not, go back and re-read. If you still don’t understand, stop talking to me.

The semi-charmed life we all enjoy in todays modern, sophisticated and culturally advanced world, the morally higher ground we stand upon looking back into history is supported almost completely by slaves. Who are these slaves...anyone with a job. Sure you're free to go home at night but you are (as I wrote @ 45 years ago...."trapped by the coins in your pocket , 40 hours a week plugged into a socket...and echoes of the past have caught us at last."

In order to get shit done ...build a temple, make a burger, sew a shirt, dig a hole, build a castle you need bodies to do it. How you treat them, what their compensation might be may vary but we need people to get off their ass and work / contribute to the machine build. If everybody's sitting at the park having a picnic, the life we know, the history we know would not be... So we need to prod them...with a carrot or a whip makes no matter (though I prefer the carrot)...we are all owned

It's slavery....just with a little lipstick on it to fool us into thinking it's OK.

It's pretty fucked up for you to equate a work contract to people who were systematically denied all rights based on skin color alone, beaten, whipped, murdered, raped, bought, and sold.

Here’s what a black man has to say about that subject. He also happens to be a historian

It’s not about apologizing. It’s about recognizing that things like wealth and education have an effect on subsequent generations. My kids went to college because I went to college. I went to college because my father went to college. My kids will inherit my wealth.

Segregation and Jim Crowe happened in my lifetime. Current black generations don’t have the same hand me downs we got.

Again, the context was specifically Juneteenth, which is an American holiday, and the resistance to it IN THE U.S. Even so, it seems you’re trying to minimize the impact of black slavery on blacks in the US because other races and countries do it. That’s kind of messed up.
It's even more dumb than that. He's not an American.

Nobody was talking about apologizing for slavery.

We were talking about black people celebrating their freedom. And I'm still interested in hearing how exactly this is a bad thing.
YOU were talking about Juneteenth. WE were taking about slavery in general.

I think if you look at any website including Wiki (pinch of salt) you will find that there are an estimated 7 billion or thereabouts people in the world.
You do realize that anyone can edit any wiki page right? If you're suggesting there are non-American humans then provide your source or get out!

YOU were talking about Juneteenth. WE were taking about slavery in general.

Okay, for what it's worth I think apologizing - on an individual level - makes no sense. For example, I was born in 1979. There is jack shit I could have done about anything prior to that so there is no possible way I could sincerely apologize. I can't possibly be sincerely sorry on behalf of myself for something I could not possibly have done.

However, an entity that existed for hundreds of years, or perpetrated the atrocity of slavery, or contributed to it, could and should apologize, and attempt to fix what it broke. In our case, that entity is the United States Federal Government.

Back