NT1a Maknig Weird Nosie When i Touch It What's Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whenever i touch the mic it has a weird ringing noise nt1a connected to a fast track solo connected to desktop pc. my mic has issues whats wrong with it? Happens with speakers and tv turned of still. I had a CAD M179 a few weeks ago and it wasnt doing this. I was messing with all the pickup patterns on the mic and no ringing. even if i slightly touch pop filter ring or shock mount it does it so its not the actual wiggling of the mic. im guessing its something electrical. idk what to do.

Last edited:
I listened to the video, and heard no ringing.

I wonder whether it is in your monitoring system?

Have you listened to your video by itself (like without your mike connected).

Also, it was hard actually trying to listen for the noise . . . some longer gaps of no talking would be great.

Yep, now I hear it. Thanks for putting the new video up.

Is it a USB mike, or do you have it going through an interface?

its a rode nt1a xlr mic gonig through a avid fast track solo usb interface to pc. Happens with speakers and tv turned of still. I had a CAD M179 a few weeks ago and it wasnt doing this. I was messing with all the pickup patterns on the mic and no ringing. even if i slightly touch pop filter ring or shock mount it does it so its not the actual wiggling of the mic. im guessing its something electrical. idk what to do.

Last edited:
I think in the first video you put up you mentioned you also had this problem with another mike. Was that right?

That would eliminate the microphone itself.

I don't know how the Avid works . . . can you do a direct monitor with USB disconnected? Or does it get its power via USB?

ya when i had at2020 there was a strange noise i was hearing right after me enging a word sometimes that sounded similar. it wasnt nearly this bad though and it didnt happen at all with a cad m179. i dont have headphones just some m-audio speakers and i did try direct monitoring from the audio interface with the speakers with a long xlr cable to avoid feedback and it was still there. tried 3 xlr cables.

Could it be something mechanical, like the shockmount or stand? Could be something jingling in one of those components, transferring directly to the microphone through direct contact. Try to decouple it from that mount and stand...use a different mount/stand, or try it handheld.

I now believe its the fast track audio interface. I recently got back into xlr mics so over the past month i bought the fast track and tried 3 mics on it. the at2020, m179, and now the nt1a. again i noticed similar issues with the at2020. however the thing that now makes me believe its the audio interface for sure is that with all three mics i found myself drastically having to change the EQ settings I was using. sometimes the mic would sound horrible like the mic was just a little off sounding. sometimes id be using extreme amounts of eq while others hardly any. i just did a recording back to back with spoken word and one recording sounded super thin and distorted a bit while the other didnt. fuck this i give up. i believe it to be the interface. all three mics i found myself drastically changing the eq all the time i thought i was going crazy. somethings not right with this shit its most likely not the mic.

I now believe its the fast track audio interface. I recently got back into xlr mics so over the past month i bought the fast track and tried 3 mics on it. the at2020, m179, and now the nt1a. again i noticed similar issues with the at2020. however the thing that now makes me believe its the audio interface for sure is that with all three mics i found myself drastically having to change the EQ settings I was using. sometimes the mic would sound horrible like the mic was just a little off sounding. sometimes id be using extreme amounts of eq while others hardly any. i just did a recording back to back with spoken word and one recording sounded super thin and distorted a bit while the other didnt. fuck this i give up. i believe it to be the interface. all three mics i found myself drastically changing the eq all the time i thought i was going crazy. somethings not right with this shit its most likely not the mic.

Hi DreamCaseal. You've been banned from here several times for a number of reasons - Just throwing it out there.

Try Tadpui's advice. It makes sense.

I didn't go through all the posts in this thread >> https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...should-i-get-sm7b-re20-348028/?highlight=re27 << , but what were you using for an interface when you were testing/trying these dynamic mics?

back then i had a roland quadcapture. was a ok interface was the only one i evero wned besides a m-audio pci express card and dmp3 preamp before it. the second xlr input had less gain tho. i said i had that in the post you linked to. regarding me being banned i dont really care lol. anyone wanna donate money so i can get a better audio interface? the quadcapture had a built in grounding thing i believe. the sound isnt a buzzing sound. i am so annoyed with this shit right now. i may have to stop my youtube channel entirely because of this.

also regarding sm7b vs re20 in that referenced thread RE20 all day every day for spoken word anyway.

Last edited:
Regarding me being banned i dont really care lol.

I'm just saying...we're well aware of who you are.
I think technically you should be banned on sight for that.

You have a history of completely ignoring advice and just switching from one complaint to the next so quickly that no one can help you.
If you want to do that, do it on youtube. :)

in the past i was a stupid newb who was trying 10000 mics learning and being disappointed by mics that people were hyping. now that i know how they all sound i dont over react over that anymore but this new problem i have i havent seen a solution so far in this thread so for now i think i may be screwed. i thought i could just avoid the issue by not touching the audio setup but i think now the issue may spread to overall sound quality consistency and if thats the case i just dont wanna deal with it and am about to snap... i cant afford to be switching things out im screwed =( im mildly distressed.

Generally, if electrical things change by touching them its a ground issue. Try plugging the components into the same outlet if they are into different outlets even if you have to use a power strip. Also try the reverse just to eliminate possible solutions.

Took a snapshot of the audio in Audacity. Whenever the mic or something physically related to it is touched there's a consistent ringing waveform at about 3.9kHz and doesn't seem to vary much from that frequency throughout the duration of the video when the mic is moved.

View attachment 94474

thx for that i think it may have bee changing due to gain levels and compressor variations i was using and not the actual mic sound i was about to correct myself after more testing

I've banned this user as he has a history here and has been banned several times before.
Thanks to everyone who tried to help. I hope this thread has been useful to him. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back