Noticing many microphones are 600 ohms, that mean anything?

Cables have capacitance, but it's low relative to a what you normally think of with a capacitor.

Here's the spec for Belden 1192 star quad microphone cable. Notice the conductor to conductor capacitance value of 39.2pF/ft. The longer the cable, the higher the resistance, and the higher the capacitance. It really comes into play when you have a high impedance signal to start with. That's why you don't want to use 50 ft cables on your guitar, the capacitance will change the tone, just like a tone control.

View attachment 133121
interesting, note its pF...pico farad.
guitar caps are micro farad.....it seems from a quick google search.

micro is to the 10-6 and nano -9, and smaller yet is pico 10-10....so I wonder what pF/ sounds like to the human ear?
Ive worked as a grunt in micro-electronic device factorys, now often called nano devices, the rave as in smaller=better, with pico going into DNA size down the hall at the bio engineering lab.....lol

pico farad, wow...
we are talking so small visually measured by some tool but here we are concerned with sound and freq of a signal to our ear not electrical oscope values.

those who invented the 1950's electric guitars and amps knew what sounded good, as the same designs hold up today. I suppose mics and studio engineers knew too as old RCA recordings still sound great with old technology gear. Its like who invented the Egg or the chicken? Who chose all this? The Telephone guy?

this made me wonder so looking up the old mics, U47 were 200ohm that went into 2k units recommended. ..unless it was a resistive load? where 1 : 1 was used?
lifted-clip
The standard U47 is switchable 50 and 200 Ohm were normally it was set at most European studios at 200 Ohm into 2k Ohm input load (at Abbey road they used it into a V72S with 2K), even the optimum loading is 800 Ohm to 1k. The 50 Ohm setting was mostly for the export models, than in conjunction with an resistive network. Loading was mostly done with 50 or 200 Ohm.

as George Harrison wrote "its all too much ...." maybe he was refer-ring to his capacitance?

Back