Noticing many microphones are 600 ohms, that mean anything?

LazerBeakShiek

Rad Racing Team
Was there ever an industry standard for microphones to have 600 ohms resistance?

Some rack equipment I use recommends the use of a 600 ohm microphone. Whats the reasoning?
khblu.jpg

If I build a passive resistance box with XLRs and a rheostat to change the ohms, how would that change the vocal sound? If I dialed in more resistance what would that sound be? High cut or low cut? or somehow lo fi'd... ? It would have to adjust the volume somewhat..overdrive it?

a tonestack like guitar controls is capacitance. Changing resistance would effect tone less than leveI, I imagine..

Last edited:
I have no personal knowledge to offer - just some stuff I dug up :

The physics is getting mangled. The aim of any circuit is to get what is sent, intact at the point is is received. In the early 20th Century the aim was telephones - getting audio down telephone wires. They were doing it with telegraph technology and a variation of Morse code, and then needed audio. The history sort of set standards. Piezo AKA crystal mics were common as were crystal pickups for 33 and 45rpm records. These things were naturally very high impedance. Mr Ohm determined many of the properties of electrical transmision with others and we have impedance, resistance, capacitance and inductance components that impact the maths. The upshot is fairly simple. high impedance sources work fine into their amplifiers designed for high impedance sources, and what comes out of the record play pickup,crystal mic or even a guitar manages to get to the amp OK, as long as the cable is short. Make it longer and the addded capacitance makes a low pass filter - you have created a cable that reduces treble!

Drop the impedance down to 600 Ohms and feet before sound changes can be miles! Dave Rat did a great demo in his PA hire warehouse. He got a Shure 58 and kept adding every cable he had, saying one two and looking at the levels on a meter. He ran out of cables before the sound changed. The post office in the UK installed 600 Ohm lines for transmission between audio customers. Oddly, in the 60s, in the UK we had three audio impedances - 50K+, 600 and 25-50Ohms. You had a transformer to connect the mic to high impedance circuits. The only real snag with it was levels - low noise preamps were not that advanced then.

250-600Ohms are interchangeable in practice. High impedance mics were fine, quality wise, but they tended to be unbalanced. This combined with the short cable length meant the other impedance was better received and became universal. Hi-fi kit has remained firmly hi-Z and unbalanced. It works well and quality is not an issue.

Remember that these clever boxes never improve the audio quality, just change the matching between devices. If a manufacturer designs in a particular impedance for the connections, going away from it introduces signal loss and perhaps even early distortion as more gain is required to compensate for the loss in the cables. This is why I struggle with the resistance boxes. They improve the match, by throwing away output in the resistive network - so they claim better matching, but the destination device has to recover the lost gain. My thinking is that is NEVER a good idea.

Just like amplifier..bias, it is a spec . Just a recommendation. Experimentation reveals new sounds, that may be what you have been looking for.

Microphones and resistance seems the same. you might need to load that plate or cable line with the correct pressure/voltage..done by varying resistance.

"You get control over the input impedance to get the best out of any mic" from the ad

im in. worth a try.

"impedance control is sweepable from 150 ohms to 15k ohms and allows you to creatively load a mic's output transformer, opening up a broad range of tonal variations for each microphone."

All that money for a passive EQ. It's the hi-fi mentality breaking into our common sense, no BS world.
Seriously though. The science part of this is just that the source impedance needs to be lower than the destination impedance. If you do this, the worst that happens is the volume drops - and you add noise amplifying it. 'Creatively Load' is a novel approach. Creatively load you nice expensive preamp can damage it it at worst, sound rough at best. In the real world, it sort of happens with a few common results. High Z source into low Z device and the level has to be kept way, way down or things distort (pre-dying) Low Z source into High Z input means you have to turn it up, often way up - with all the noise problems. 150-600 Ohm mics are usually swappable with no thinking at all. using resistors to change this just puts some of the energy into heat, rather than sound.

The 'story of the microphone' can and has filled many books! My experience on "impedance" is as follows.
Very early, post WW2 mics tended to be very low Z, 30-50 Ohms. These were often used with UNSCREENED twisted lamp flex, no taxi radios then! They fed a transformer into a valve of around 1:60 ratio and so gave a decent noise performance but a very restricted HF response. 3dB at 12kHz if you were lucky. There were better transformers for studio and radio but they were large and expensive.
Later the impedance was raised to the now most common 200R in Europe and 150 typical of the US. Then came the cassette tape recorder! These had poor mic amps and a 200R mic gave noisy results so the coils were wound to 500-600 Ohms and delivered maybe 6dB more signal. (Domestic valve OR recorders were most commonly supplied with a 'crystal' mic that had an inherently high sensitivity into a 'one meg' valve input*.)
A residual advantage of these 600ish mic that are still with us is that they give a decent output level without the internal transformer such as is in the SM57/8. This saves a lot of money and makes really quite decent mics like the Behringer XM8500 possible for really silly money.

*Sorry Rob, loading a crystal mic or gram PU with a high capacitance cable does not reduce the treble. Such devices are effectively capacitors and thus the cable forms an 'all band' attenuator. The same principle is used as a pad in capacitor mics.

Dave.

The 'story of the microphone' can and has filled many books!
i love a good story.
they give a decent output level without the internal transformer such as is in the SM57/8. T
Sure sm's have a transformer..dont they?
*Sorry Rob, loading a crystal mic or gram PU with a high capacitance cable does not reduce the treble. Such devices are effectively capacitors

Dave.
high resistance/length you mean? no capacitance in a cable. it cannot hold voltage like a battery..

i love a good story.

Sure sm's have a transformer..dont they?

high resistance/length you mean? no capacitance in a cable. it cannot hold voltage like a battery..
Yes, SMs have (expensive) transformers but most really budget mics don't. That's the point.

Of course cables have capacitance! Whenever two conductors are separated by an insulator you got a cap! Look at any cable mnfctrs specs. Never heard of the guitarist's nemesis? Tone Suck?

And yes, you can measure it if you have a half decent DMM.

Dave.

Whenever two conductors are separated by an insulator you got a cap! Look at any cable mnfctrs specs. Never heard of the guitarist's nemesis?

And yes, you can measure it if you have a half decent DMM.
i can measure a cables faradactyl insolance? ..

Of course cables have capacitance! Whenever two conductors are separated by an insulator you got a cap!
On the poles, there is no plate termination with a dielectric between the plates. the gap between the plates is needed to store a charge..a cable is just wires.

That its an equation. Calling it a capacitance that is based on resistance in length. Its resistance, in a fancy equation.

I refuse to see it as an actual capacitor. More just using the material thickness to add to the complexity of the lines' resistance equation. Its my choice.

"From our knowledge we know that a cables capacitance per unit length multiplied by its actual unit length (i.e. total capacitance) is the aspect of a copper (or silver) core guitar cable that affects our tone the most (almost entirely in fact) other than noise from electromagnetic interference and tribolectric microphonics."

yall know im retarded 80% of the time anyhow, and the other 65% Im stoned out of my mind..

Last edited:
Back