Not available for store pick up?

Gretsch lists their factory setup on bass guitar string height as 4/64" - all strings at the 12th fret. That's with all factory parts, then mentions it's just a starting point as everyone's requirements are different. I like mine somewhere between 6/64" and 8/64" so there's a bit of tension there. When the string frets as soon as I touch it, I can't play it because I'm pressing too hard. I've never been able to develop a lighter touch.

You beat me to GC for that test drive :p I was planning to go there this morning but woke up an hour late and just went back to sleep for another hour. Then I had other stuff to attend to, so maybe next weekend.

Last edited:
I don''t start by measuring. I, too, go by feel at first. After I set it to my liking, measuring after ... just to see what it is and have some info to pass on.

Man, I didn't mean for this to be a full review of a bass guitar, but it just developed a mind of it's own and got away from me :D

I was able to get up to GC this morning. They had 3 Electromatic Jet II basses on the wall in the bass room : Bristol Fog; Walnut Stain; Tobbacco Sunburst. They all had different string height setups (so much for the factory specs). I grabbed the Tobbacco Sunburst first (my favorite finish) and this one had the highest strings - I eyeballed them at about 16/64" (1/4), but it's probably more like 15/64" if I were to actually measure, I think.

Lots of combo amps in the room - I picked the Ampeg Rocket Bass RB-108 because you used an Ampeg. I figured this would make for a better test. I plugged into the 0dB input and set the Bass at the 6th point (next to last), Midrange and Treble straight up at the 0 boost/cut points. Volume at the second point - plenty loud enough as I was sitting directly in front. I selected both pickups on the bass with 100% Volume and Tone.

ampeg.png

After reading and watching YouTube reviews, it seems there's no middle ground with this bass, they either loved it or thought it fell short. I happen to love it. It fits me to a tee and though some thought the neck was too wide, it fit my small hand perfect.

I tuned it up and went at it.The playability was silky smooth and though the strings looked too high, the added string tension I was expecting just wasn't there. They played smooth as butter. One very noticeable feature is the woody sound those mini humbuckers provide - very nice for a solid body. I think, for me, it's a strong attraction - definitely reminded me of my old Höfner.

I moved on to the Walnut Stain body and those strings were a little lower, maybe 13/64". Other than the string height, everything played and sounded the same. The last one was the Bristol Fog body (my least favorite - looks like charred wood just yanked from a fireplace), this had the lowest strings, which I thought would still be too high but as it turned out they were perfect - the low string tension balanced it out nicely. I'd guessed they were 12/64" off the frets. This one sounded slightly better than the other two. More sustain, especially along the full length of the neck. This was my favorite player but not a looker.. for me, anyway. I'd have to buy the Sunburst and tweak the neck maybe.

I almost bought it then and there, along with a bag. I had to walk it off so I went into the acoustic room and fiddled awhile until the urge passed. This will be a good recording bass for sure.

Last edited:
I agree regarding that burned Bristol Fog finish! The only other model they had at the GC I went to was a pink one.

I was looking around for replacement strings for the Gretsch bass. Man, that was a journey. Gretsch doesn't sell their strings or otherwise offer them for sale to the public.

After some light research, I found some good recommendations for the DR Sunbeam Medium Short scale. Same construction. Very similar tonal qualities and feel.. supposedly. This particular set isn't that easy to find either. The DR SNMR-45's are not stocked in my GC, nor does Sweetwater stock them. Amazon has something that looks like the DR's but has a different name (Dr B). They are available from several other online sources, though. Just not from the usual suspects. I looked over at Höfner's site and their's are lighter gauges.

I've read Gretsch's factory strings don't last long and corrode pretty quickly - the reason many immediately replace them after buying the bass. I wouldn't swap out the strings right away because I actually like their sound and feel - I'd play them to the end first, whatever that turns out to be - corrosion, breakage, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, I use DR Sunbeams on my J-bass. Those shortscale strings show ready to ship at Guitar Center and Musicians Friend.

Thanks for chiming in on the Sunbeams. Your recommendation carries more weight than the anonymous users I was reading about.

Whatever you choose, give JustStrings.com a quick look. They carry stuff that GC doesn't. I've bought my past half dozen sets from them, included the groundwound bass strings I put on my Peavey bass. I also picked up some singles to replace the occasional broken E string.

I have never actually broken a bass string, and I've played hard on some very old, corroded looking sets. Still, I always kept a couple old sets in my cases just in case.

Thanks. Just Strings does have these, GC can also order in for store PU.

Whatever you choose, give JustStrings.com a quick look. They carry stuff that GC doesn't. I've bought my past half dozen sets from them, included the groundwound bass strings I put on my Peavey bass. I also picked up some singles to replace the occasional broken E string.
I hope you mean the high E string on a guitar, not the bass E string!

Picked up the Gretsch Electromatic Jet II *sunburst) just now. Still in the box (but I did take it out and play it there) - the only padded gig bag they had that fit it was $70! I'll shop for a case used or on fleabay.

Now you've got me - I'm jealous :P

I've been thinking about that bass every day. I was going to get it last week but I had a biannual insurance premium show up, so it'll be a few more weeks. I've also decided to get an Ampeg RB-108 combo (1x8 30w), but at a later date. Looking for a used one - see if I can save $100 or so.

Just plugged it into my interface and listened through my monitors, adjusted the action and intonation, but the truss rod needs tweaking, almost no bow in the neck at all and the low E string still buzzes when playing the 3rd fret especially.

One of my guitar shop friends hated the direct, not via shop route, because it removed their small cut for handling, and occasionally sending back, plus as they made no profit on the collection, they still got the complaints and after sales hassle. They were agents, not manufacturer owned, or franchised. Sounds like in this case not available for store collection is because they wont pay the store a commission.

Is that the Electromatic Junior Jet? I was checking that out on the Gretsch site - their images are not flattering.. this one looks beautiful.
My wife plays an Electromatic Jr. It was her main bass for the last 10 years. We did some shows in LA and guys with vintage Fender P basses wanted to play through her rig.

Today she plays a Jackson Megadeth Pedophile P/J bass she really loves, but the Gretsch is a winner. Cost $242 out the door at GC Sunset Blvd in 2010.

Attachments

• 13415654_992247080852230_782312010235928559_o.jpg
    13415654_992247080852230_782312010235928559_o.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 5
A good, inexpensive bass with humbucking pups is further down on my list - but it's coming... :guitar:

When you go to GC, let me know which amp(s) you used for the Jet's test drive - if you take it that far.
We went with the Fender Rumble 25.

Back