Not available for store pick up?

A good, inexpensive bass with humbucking pups is further down on my list - but it's coming... :guitar:

When you go to GC, let me know which amp(s) you used for the Jet's test drive - if you take it that far.

A good, inexpensive bass with humbucking pups is further down on my list - but it's coming... :guitar:

When you go to GC, let me know which amp(s) you used for the Jet's test drive - if you take it that far.
I will be looking for definition, overall tone, intonation and playability, which the youtubes I found showed it was pretty good. I haven't plugged in my Rumble 75 in a couple of years, always DI when recording.

Here's the video review I watched. The DI segments sounded pretty thin, but the Ampeg sim sounded terrific, IMO. I liked that Tool sound. He does a good job of going through the pickups and tones.

Here's the video review I watched. The DI segments sounded pretty thin, but the Ampeg sim sounded terrific, IMO. I liked that Tool sound. He does a good job of going through the pickups and tones.

I use either a simple Ampeg or PodFarm (usually the Silveface bass) for bass sim, never just leave a plain DI track!

If your other Fenders are all 'same side'..It just looks right.

My 50th Anni V. ..has it been 25 years?
View attachment 114161
The Jazz bass gets you a sharper attack with that bridge pickup , perfect for Rock n Roll. The P Bass, is going to be more neck sounding. Go Jazz I say.

crazy how time flys.
the 60th Pbass was 2011, 1951,
50th of Jazz 2010?....1960.....so 75th would be 2035?

Fender is 75 years old though. Celebrating 2021 I read.

OK. I was on Fender's site last night checking up on the 75th Anniversary Jazz Bass availability and... they're shipping! So I scooted over to Sweetwater's and GC's... they're also shipping and offering store pickup!

- - EDIT - Just checked again real quick and Fender is already sold out, but Sweetwater and GC still show available! [gads..]

This was an exciting discovery, but it comes before I have set aside the bucks to buy one. I budgeted the purchase for the end of this year and then I had some vehicle expenses push that back. Looks like maybe early next year..

This isn't a "must have", so I'm not going to jump in with their financing. I can wait a bit longer. This one will be as much an object of art as a great working guitar.

View attachment 115788
that is a work of art...75th Anniversary...a lot of extra details. Im not surprised they sold out quickly.

Does anyone know...

When Fender assembles one of these upper-level basses, and when they install the tuners, do they ever go the extra mile and orient the tuning pegs so the slots are perfectly aligned - before strings are added? The techs probably don't even give it a second thought. I mean, once the strings are on what's the point, right? Right. But still... one person might do it just as a matter of self satisfaction - a small idiosyncrasy perhaps. I might do this if I were doing the assembly. It's not an OCD thing... it's just me being weird :D

tuners.jpg

Does anyone know...

When Fender assembles one of these upper-level basses, and when they install the tuners, do they ever go the extra mile and orient the tuning pegs so the slots are perfectly aligned - before strings are added? The techs probably don't even give it a second thought. I mean, once the strings are on what's the point, right? Right. But still... one person might do it just as a matter of self satisfaction - a small idiosyncrasy perhaps. I might do this if I were doing the assembly. It's not an OCD thing... it's just me being weird :D
Why would that even matter - as soon as you string it up and tune, nothing will be inline.

wow...yeah OCD, its a funny world. I see the extra effort but then I dont really care when Im in "play mode".
Aligning the tuner slots line up?
I guess the "hole thru" have solid chrome tuner tops so there isnt a slot.

For a picture they could detune it making the tuner slots line up. Kind of like a McDonalds burger picture vs the real thing.

Im doing a DIY paint chip repair, as a first timer (thanks to youtube and amazon) and the OCD thing crosses my mind. Its like pro's have beaten up gear from thousands of gigs, and Im spending this time to repair a small ding on the back to keep it looking unplayed?
Then my brother mentions some people pay a lot for Custom Shop Relic'd and that rabbit hole conversation went.

OCD, that could be draining to try to keep everything museum like , or unplayed, er.....OCD kind of says it all.
OR Relic- crowd.....and what if the factory is a OCD dude performing a Relic? (just kidding)

aligned tuning pegs! good luck with that..and getting them in tune and perfect would be harder than a rubiks cube, right?
How many turns to string to being tuned...maybe impossible? What would be the mathematic odds to have all four land perfectly?

add: and the Tuning knobs are all aligned! just noticed that,.
the Tuning string slots are off. huh.... OCD might lock in on something like that and not get any sleep. wow... aspberger inventor might spent time trying to accomplish something like that.

Last edited:
Well, the slots would only be aligned when first installed into the head, then after the strings are on it's all out the window.

It's wild.. you caught that the keys are all aligned. I totally missed that. And yeah.. getting the keys aligned and the slots to match at the same time is a mind-boggling thought. That would take some new math on the gears and ratios. But then to get those alignments after the first set of strings is on... whew! Even more math to include string dimensions related to gear ratios..
[insert head exploding in purple dust] pop.gif

HELLllllp!

Last edited:
WOW, you guys look at tuning pegs? The only time I even see the headstock is when I'm turning a key, and if I'm using the tuner on the pedal board instead of the Snark, I hardly even look then.

I just laugh at all the "crappy looking headstock" treads over on GearPage. Like it make a lick of difference in the sound, plus 99% of the audience couldn't tell a Fender from a G&L, Anderson, Pacifica or Suhr.

Just get the dang thing in tune!!!!

Jus gitter dun ! :laughings:(what's a tuning peg ? :eek::laughings:)

Every time I see someone with a guitar the first thing I look at is the headstock, looking for the maker. It used to be easy and now it's harder 'cause lots of players have clip-on tuners over the names.

Jus gitter dun ! :laughings:(what's a tuning peg ? :eek::laughings:)

Every time I see someone with a guitar the first thing I look at is the headstock, looking for the maker. It used to be easy and now it's harder 'cause lots of players have clip-on tuners over the names.
... and the other 99 folks around you are saying "hey, he's got a guitar", and they're looking at the bass player! :p

Jeeez.. Just for kicks, I went to my GC's site and checked out what it would cost to LEASE-TO-OWN the 75th Anniversary Jazz I'm hot for. Get this...

The lease is for 13 months. Going by my zip code and income, the initial payment would be $78 - then $385/month for 12 months. The purchase price of the bass is $2049.00 and the lease amount alone is just short of $2500.00. The total paid after 13 months would be just shy of $4599.00.. !!! + TAX !!!!!

DAMN ! :laughings::laughings::laughings::facepalm:

Last edited:
Tried out that Gretsch this morning, plays easy, action was possibly a little low, or the truss rod needs a small turn - but sitting on the wall in the main room, its not getting humidified. Sound was fine, thought the best overall sound was with both pickups selected. The tuners turned easily, thinking a very high turn ratio, and much smaller 'paddles' than the usual Fender monsters. Played through an Ampeg combo. None of the GCs in this area have the Fender Mustang Player in stock to try out. There was a Sterling/Musicman short scale that I tried for 20 seconds, sound was horrible from two single coil pickups right next to each other in the bridge position.
Went into the Acoustic room and was surprised to see 2 different Fender acoustic bass models - wasn't even aware of these. I've played acoustic basses before, the lack of any real 'oomphf' and low volume has crossed those off my list for a longtime. The Fenders had much more volume than I was used to, but they still would not compete with a dreadnaught acoustic without an amp. And geez are they big - I could barely reach the 1st fret without leaning over to the left.
So now I'll wait until I can try out the Mustang - or if a good discount coupon comes along.

Back