Not available for store pick up?

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I was checking out a new Fender Bass on GC's site and they don't stock it. I can order one through them, but it's not available for store pick up..! It must be shipped to my address.

My question is : Why wouldn't a Fender guitar be available for store pick up?

Lots of other Fender guitars are available for store pick up if ordered.

I'm not comfortable with having one of these shipped directly to my address - I usually wait until the store restocks or have them order it for store pick up.

IDK..

Ok, shows the same for me, and I checked the Fender Player Mustang Bass I have been waiting for since springtime - same thing, ' not eligible for store pickup'. Got to be a Fender thing due to production issues. All the detail on Sweetwater's site says 'Fender requires extra delivery time'.

I think maybe it's just that - availability unknown, so the option has been temporarily(?) removed. And Fender's site has the "Notify me when available" button on all colors.

Yeah...lately GC isn't carrying in the store as much as they did before. My question is........what if you need to return it? Can you take it back to GC or do you have to ship it?

There are so many little things....and big things....that can go wrong...or be wrong with a shipped guitar you never got to lay eyes on before buying. I need to hold it...play it and inspect it closely before I buy it.

Mick

Around here, at least, if you order 'ship to store' at GC, you don't pay any freight costs. And if you want to return it, right back to the store.

I was just checking the AMS site for this bass, and at least they show a possible date for availability.. AUGUST 2022 ! ! ! I might could be dead by then :eek::p:laughings:

As I was doing my daily availability check on the bass in question, I happened upon a different model which has blown me away:

This has overwound 60's Jazz PUs and 70's tuners. It's also got gold anniversary hardware and badging, but that's just icing to me. It's the two-tone bourbon color scheme that's captivated me. It's about the same price as the sunburst model, BUT.. it's also not available at this time.

Now I see Sweetwater's page shows a demo in stock for $1889.99, but for the price I like new in the box stuff.

Last edited:
Yeah, 2 grand is the downside.

That's the best bass, Fender Jazz. Use the bridge pickup as dominant. Get the all tube bass amp to go with it.

The 75 anniversary models do not have 'same side' machine heads on the USA V's? Why not? 50 anniversary's did it like that. It was cool.

Last edited:
Fender probably wanted to add more distance between the 50th and the 75th as far as features go. It also allowed them to splash more gold around.

They can't make enough guitars to satisfy demand. I foresee a large resale market for guitars in the next 3-4 years. Hopefully, people will have tired of their purchases and put them up for sale to recoup their monies.

Last edited:
I foresee a large resale market for guitars in the next 3-4 years. Hopefully, people will have tired of their purchases and put them up for sale to recoup their monies.
I think you are right...Things are whackadoodle right now. Covid has crushed the smooth flow of the world supply chain and we aren't done...inflation has exploded into a 40 year history breaking record. Feds are sitting there scratching their heads...hmm this recovery is taking a little longer than we anticipated...maybe we should raise the interest rates...yeah that's the ticket...Well it works but this situation is unlike anything we've ever seen in our lives and the folks at the helm are looking pretty Alfred E Newmanish What me worry?

giphy.gif

If your other Fenders are all 'same side'..It just looks right.

My 50th Anni V. ..has it been 25 years?
20220113_062132.jpg
The Jazz bass gets you a sharper attack with that bridge pickup , perfect for Rock n Roll. The P Bass, is going to be more neck sounding. Go Jazz I say.

Last edited:
If your other Fenders are all 'same side'..It just looks right.

My 50th Anni V. ..has it been 25 years?
View attachment 114161
The Jazz bass gets you a sharper attack with that bridge pickup , perfect for Rock n Roll. The P Bass, is going to be more neck sounding. Go Jazz I say.
I'm Jazz all the way. My last P-bass was great for gigs but the Jazz sounded great in the studio.

I've always liked the PBass tone, but, being a guitar player without the big hands and long fingers, I didn't care for the width of the neck. The Jazz neck is more my style. For a while I was looking for a PJ bass, PBass body with Jazz neck.

OK. I was on Fender's site last night checking up on the 75th Anniversary Jazz Bass availability and... they're shipping! So I scooted over to Sweetwater's and GC's... they're also shipping and offering store pickup!

- - EDIT - Just checked again real quick and Fender is already sold out, but Sweetwater and GC still show available! [gads..]

This was an exciting discovery, but it comes before I have set aside the bucks to buy one. I budgeted the purchase for the end of this year and then I had some vehicle expenses push that back. Looks like maybe early next year..

This isn't a "must have", so I'm not going to jump in with their financing. I can wait a bit longer. This one will be as much an object of art as a great working guitar.

jazz.png

Last edited:
Yeah, the Fender Mustang Player Bass that was out of stock for so long is now available everywhere again. But I saw ads for a Gretsch short-scale bass that's less than half the price, going to check one out at Guitar Center when I have the chance.
gretsch.jpg

Is that the Electromatic Junior Jet? I was checking that out on the Gretsch site - their images are not flattering.. this one looks beautiful.

Back