Not available for store pick up?

So I've been anxiously waiting on Fender to resume shipments of the Jazz Bass I'm interested in. Meanwhile, I've been checking out used models online (GC, eBay, etc) and noticed something odd.

The new basses come with all gold hardware, including the neck plate. The used ones I see online have all gold hardware EXCEPT! the neck plate - which appears to be chrome or something other than gold. The other hardware in the same images is obviously gold... but not the neck plates, so the color is not off.

These plates have the correct Anniversary stamping, just no gold.

I can't even speculate on why this is. What would worry me more than this is : Did the previous owners swap out the electronics and pups before they returned them to the store or offered for online sale? Back in the day people used to do that with Hurst rental cars with Hi-Perf V8's, then turn them back in with some dodgy nothing of a stock engine.

I'm very wary of used.

I contacted Fender Consumer Relations about availability of their 75th Anniversary Commemorative Jazz Bass. Their reply was a bit vague, saying it was a limited edition model and that a few are available to some of their dealers and I should contact one of them by phone to see if I could secure one. They supplied the following list :

Manchester Music Mill in New Hampshire
Bass Central in Florida (about 75 miles from my place)
N Stuff Music in Pennsylvania
Prymaxe Vintage Guitars in New Jersey

Now Sweetwater's page shows it as no longer available. Oh well. I'm giving up on this one. I'll be on The Tree of Woe . .

w.jpg

Last edited:
Manchester Music Mill is a great place to deal with. They've got one: https://manchestermusicmill.com/fen...s-rosewood-fingerboard-2-color-bourbon-burst/
If you want to buy from them, I could head up there Sunday and try it out for you.
That's a generous offer, Mike. I believe I'll take you up on it. I haven't contacted them other than to go through the motions of purchasing online to check out totals, insurance and payment options, then deleting the cart. Just did a quick check on my PayPal and it's still current.

The closest to me (Bass Central) shows one on order due in April 2023, so that rules out a hands-on anytime soon. Your hands-on assessment would prove invaluable.

Last edited:
That's a generous offer, Mike. I believe I'll take you up on it. I haven't contacted them other than to go through the motions of purchasing online to check out totals, insurance and payment options, then deleting the cart. Just did a quick check on my PayPal and it's still current.

The closest to me (Bass Central) shows one on order due in April 2023, so that rules out a hands-on anytime soon. Your hands-on assessment would prove invaluable.
Assuming I don't get snowed in completely here, I'll head over there on Sunday. I got my Taylor nylon string guitar there, they beat the price that was offered when they hosted the Taylor Road Show.

Cool. I used to go to lots of events at our local music stores in the Wash., D.C. area before they were gobbled up by the chains. The last event I was at in this area was a Music-Go-Round gathering of dealers here in Florida to check out any guitars we might want to sell or trade. That's when I sold my LP to get a new bass, mic, interface and Baby Taylor as I was transitioning to digital.

Super low action, but not buzzing, easy to play, everything looked and sounded good on the 75th Anniversary Fender at Manchester Music Mill.

I was very tempted by a couple of Guild baritone acoustics there ... but resisted the tempation ....

Attachments

• PXL_20221218_161251069[1].jpg
    PXL_20221218_161251069[1].jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20221218_161254181[1].jpg
    PXL_20221218_161254181[1].jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20221218_161301087[1].jpg
    PXL_20221218_161301087[1].jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20221218_161307284[1].jpg
    PXL_20221218_161307284[1].jpg
    3 MB · Views: 6
Man. . . I jus checked Fender's site again and they had a 75th Anniversary Commemorative Precision available - for about 5 seconds - then it was gone. That's happened at least 6 times in the past few weeks with the P-Bass only. I think someone's checking that site 24/7 and buying all that are made available, or someone's got their bot gaming the system. About a month ago they had one J-Bass popped up for about 10 seconds, then it was gone. None since. I have seen several in the used market, many have been modified in some way with string swaps, neck adjustments, one is even substituting a different hard case for the original molded Anniversary case. Me, I wouldn't modify an Anniversary Commemorative.

Someone on a bass forum mentioned speaking with Fender recently and was told only a limited run of 1,100 each of the Jazz and Precision 75th Anniversary Commemorative models were produced worldwide in 2021 (the anniversary year).

Last edited:
. . .

I was very tempted by a couple of Guild baritone acoustics there ... but resisted the tempation ....
Did you try the 6 & 8 stringers? I checked out a couple of video demos on those. I really like the 8-string's acoustic sound, though with my playing style it could be a bit heavy on the low end. I'm a strumming fool with very few (flat)picked notes, and not a fingerpicker at all. Still, the added strings give it a bit of 12-string shimmer that sounds very nice. If I still got high while playing, I could really get lost in that 8-string.

Did you try the 6 & 8 stringers? I checked out a couple of video demos on those. I really like the 8-string's acoustic sound, though with my playing style it could be a bit heavy on the low end. I'm a strumming fool with very few (flat)picked notes, and not a fingerpicker at all. Still, the added strings give it a bit of 12-string shimmer that sounds very nice. If I still got high while playing, I could really get lost in that 8-string.
I tend to be a heavy strummer as well, and the last time I tried baritone guitars (Taylors) didn't think they fit my style. But, I have adapted my playing in the last few years, so can play a more suitable style for the baritone guitar. I didn't really like the 8-string as much, thought that when playing it was distracting to have the octave notes just on the D and G strings. I like the sound of the 6-string better. If it had had a burst glossy finish instead of satin with plain spruce top, I might have bought it!

I tend to be a heavy strummer as well, and the last time I tried baritone guitars (Taylors) didn't think they fit my style. But, I have adapted my playing in the last few years, so can play a more suitable style for the baritone guitar. I didn't really like the 8-string as much, thought that when playing it was distracting to have the octave notes just on the D and G strings. I like the sound of the 6-string better. If it had had a burst glossy finish instead of satin with plain spruce top, I might have bought it!
Yeah. My Taylor has that satin fish and I'm not to keen on that either. My $70 Rogue (China) is nicer to look at in that regard :LOL:

Yeah. My Taylor has that satin fish and I'm not to keen on that either. My $70 Rogue (China) is nicer to look at in that regard :LOL:
I understand the purpose with the Taylor guitars (and I am ok with how they look on them) - the less "extra" on the wood, specially the soundboard, the better they can vibrate with the sound. I just thought the Guild satin basically looked unfinished.

That could explain why I was attracted to the sound and feel of my Big Baby. It doesn't have all the depth of a full body, nor does it have the brightness of some other full bodied guitars. It just seemed to fall into a comfortable middle zone - for me.

Well, this thread started out with me looking to buy a new Fender Jazz bass :

Then it veered off into other basses and other stuff. I got interested in the Gretsch G2220 Electromatic Junior Jet Bass II Short Scale Sunburst :

I still like this Junior Jet. I did a hands-on at my local GC and really liked the tones and playability (many don't).

So I began budgeting and saving for the Fender 60's Jazz.

Then a couple months ago, I spotted Fender's 75th Anniversary Commemorative Jazz Bass and one look was all it took, buddy. However, it was a limited production run which ended in 2021 (Anniversary year). I continued saving and when I finally had the dough I contacted Fender and they gave me a short list of US dealers to contact. Lucky me. . . a store in New England had one in stock, and it was $100 less than the 60's Jazz I had originally planned on buying.

Turned out @mjbphotos was kind enough to go by the store and check it out for me. THANK YOU, MIKE! After he posted his results here I quickly placed my order and I now have a beautiful Jazz Bass. It arrived in perfect condition - plays and sounds teriffic.

What with the holidays and other end of year stuff going on here I won't get much time to do any recording, but an old bandmate just sent me some rough copies of old songs we played back in 1975-76 and I'll be working out material in my head for the next week or so.

Last edited:
Ho Ho Ho! Merry Christmas Spantini. It's always fun to find a new toy to occupy our time. That 75th Anniv looks like a nice bass.

Woooo! Merry Christmas back at you, Rich! I hadn't planned this as a Christmas present, just happened to work out this way. Instead of watching Twilight Zone's annual marathon for the umpteenth time, I can get acquainted with my bass. Ho Ho Ho . . . 🎅 (Good grief Charlie Brown, it's freakin' 30°-F here in Central Florida this morning!).

Well, this thread started out with me looking to buy a new Fender Jazz bass :

Then it veered off into other basses and other stuff. I got interested in the Gretsch G2220 Electromatic Junior Jet Bass II Short Scale Sunburst :

I still like this Junior Jet. I did a hands-on at my local GC and really liked the tones and playability (many don't).

So I began budgeting and saving for the Fender 60's Jazz.

Then a couple months ago, I spotted Fender's 75th Anniversary Commemorative Jazz Bass and one look was all it took, buddy. However, it was a limited production run which ended in 2021 (Anniversary year). I continued saving and when I finally had the dough I contacted Fender and they gave me a short list of US dealers to contact. Lucky me. . . a store in New England had one in stock, and it was $100 less than the 60's Jazz I had originally planned on buying.

Turned out @mjbphotos was kind enough to go by the store and check it out for me. THANK YOU, MIKE! After he posted his results here I quickly placed my order and I now have a beautiful Jazz Bass. It arrived in perfect condition - plays and sounds teriffic.

What with the holidays and other end of year stuff going on here I won't get much time to do any recording, but an old bandmate just sent me some rough copies of old songs we played back in 1975-76 and I'll be working out material in my head for the next week or so.
Glad you got it before Christmas! Enjoy!

Woooo! Merry Christmas back at you, Rich! I hadn't planned this as a Christmas present, just happened to work out this way. Instead of watching Twilight Zone's annual marathon for the umpteenth time, I can get acquainted with my bass. Ho Ho Ho . . . 🎅 (Good grief Charlie Brown, it's freakin' 30°-F here in Central Florida this morning!).
Sounds to me like balmy Fla weather to me. 🥶 We hit a low of -6 yesterday, and it was up to 2F around 1am this morning as the temps actually rose overnight. With the winds yesterday, it was a wind chill of about -15 or -20. It was just a little brisk cleaning the snow off the driveway!

I hear ya. My first winter in Florida after moving from Maryland there was a weeklong period of temps ranging from just above to just below freezing. It was so much colder back in Maryland that the 28°-F in Florida felt quite balmy, as you say. I spent lots of time lounging on the sunlit lanai in my old lifeguard bathing suit - no shirt or shoes. Of course now that I've acclamated, this 30°-F stuff sees me dressed in long jeans, flannel shirt, shoes, socks and a hooded jacket - BRRrrrr! 🥶❄️

I remember watching a news clip some 25-30 years ago when it hit -70°F in the upper midwest. Someone took a pot of boiling water off their stove, opened their back door and tossed the water up in the air. The boiling water instantly froze in mid-air. That was impressive.

Like a big chunk of the US, we've been below freezing since the arctic front hit on Thursday.. We're supposed to finally get above freezing some time Tuesday afternoon, although there's a 50% chance of snow tomorrow. This was a genuine White Christmas.

Last night, the family had a get together at my nephew's house. What is normally about a 15-20 minute drive became an hour and 20 minutes. About a half mile from their house, there was a hilly section of road and apprently someone either went off the road, or collided. My son and I drove about 4 miles around the tie up on a snowy 2 lane road doing about 20mph. We eventually got there. My daughter and her husband didn't make it. They tried to go up a hill and the car lost traction 3 times before they went back down, turned around and gave up. Things are much better today. The sun is up and the salt is actually working.

I can't imagine living someplace like Buffalo NY.

Back