Noob is about to pull hair out!

Jeff Dumas

Okay, I’m gonna’ give you a lot of info:

My Yamaha keyboard is plugged into a usb port. (I assume this is done correctly because I am able to play the tutorial through the keyboard speakers.) The MIDI out on the keyboard is plugged into the cable plug marked ‘IN”, and the MIDI in on the keyboard is plugged into the cable marked “OUT”.

My project is named Tutorial2

Under Options I set my MIDI input to : USB Audio Device (it is the only option available for input)

Under Options I checked all of my available options : Microsoft Wave Table (which is my computer soundcard, I think), USB Audio Device, and USB Audio Device 2 (I think it shows the audio device twice because I have the keyboard plugged into a different usb port than it was originally, I don’t think that would matter, otherwise it wouldn’t be communicating with the keyboard at all would it?)

Track 1, which I am going to record to is set up as a midi track. It has the little MIDI icon next to the track number.

Under the track number:
the “R” is highlighted
the little button to the right of the “R” is highlighted, it says “Input Echo: Auto Thru”
the little button to the right of that is highlighted, “RD”, Automation Read Enabled
volume is at 127
pan = c
vel + = 0
Input Quantization Resolution = quarter
Input : USB Audio Device – Omni
Output : Microsoft Wave Table SW Synth
Channel 1 : Yamaha XG Drumkits (this was the default)
Bank: ---
Patch is set at NONE
Key + = 0
Time + = 0
Chr = 0
Rev = 0
Root note = C

Okay now, when I strike a key on the keyboard the note will sound thru my computer speakers, it also sounds on my keyboard speaker. Now, if I strike the keyboard several times in a row the sound coming from the keyboard speaker plays normally, but the sound coming from the computer speaker doesn’t. The first note that I played keeps resonating and eventually decays at which point it will play another note. Understand what I’m saying?

Okay now, all of that is without me even hitting the record button on the transport bar.

Now, I when I do hit record on the transport bar the metronome starts counts off and the track starts recording. I don’t notice anything like a drop out screen appearing. The track IS recording, but is only recording one note, that note will eventually decay and then it will record a second note, when that one finally decays it will record a third note.

I have gone into the audio options and tried the buffer size all the way from safe to fast and the problem persists. Any ideas anyone?

Sounds like you have massive and crippling latency problems. You should do a search on latency and see if that search can give you a bit of the old heads up.

Back