Noise, static, hiss

B-110

I am running guitar and vocals through a Scarlett 2i2 into Audacity on my Lenovo Laptop. I can't get a clean track. There is no clipping. How do you trouble shoot this problem? Thanks, Greg

Record what you're hearing, render it to an mp3 and post that here.

I'm not sure, but being a newbie, you may need to accumulate x-many posts before you can post files.

I always ask for, but never actually get, a non-normalized WAV file *as recorded* and put it in a Dropbox, Google Drive, whatever, with a link. If you can, just record a single track with the guitar and maybe a second one with both. What is the actual signal chain? Plugged in mic'd acoustic, direct electric guitar or mic'd amp, playing and singing at the same time, etc?

The process of exporting/bouncing a couple of tracks to an MP3 is Ok once you've got a process that works. Not sure we're there yet.

The snag with words is we all get the wrong ideas. Hiss is the safest, I thing we all get that one. Static is a problem one. Silence then sharp clicks or pops, fizzing noises etc. Some people here have also used this one to explain the digital burbling noises they get when they move the mouse, or save a file? Noise is sort of the generic term for all of this annoying stuff.

this is why we have to hear it, because the solution could be grounding/earthing, your computer, what you have it connected to. That kind of thing, and the6 all have a sort of fingerprint. My friend has the computer type noise, and the cause we found easily. His computer hates his interface connected to his speakers. Swapping computer, speakers or interface cures it, but he’s a stubborn devil and refuses to change anything, demanding satisfaction from three manufacturers! I think I have worked his one out. The interface draws power from the usb cabl. The computer cannot quite supply enough, and the usb voltage drops a teeny bit, but crud from the computer then gets into the usb connection, and the loudspeakers make it audible. It’s not on the interface headphone output, so for him, it’s misery, and the solution is to swap something but he refuses citing his consumer rights etc etc. a filter on the audio cable to the speakers helped a tin6 bit, but my home made one is ugly, so he wont use it.

I suspect you are not doing anything wrong, but there are just so many causes even when we do hear it. Sound loud might work, or if you can’t post it, send it to me and I’ll post it for you if the direct message system allows it?

Back