Night Drive - Original

First released song in about three years. I haven't been real active.

This is going to be a part of an album titled "Dirt Roads". Since it has been awhile, I need to get some feedback to get myself realigned. Any comments are appreciated, production as well as mixing.
It really dense - everything is walking on everything - throwback song - pretty cool though.

My first thoughts are the intro should not be so abrupt. I would start with the vocal and one instrument, then add an instrument every 4 measures, or something similar. The tune is atmospheric and relaxing. It felt like it needed some midrange keyboard to help bring out some of the lower end.

My first thoughts are the intro should not be so abrupt. I would start with the vocal and one instrument, then add an instrument every 4 measures, or something similar. The tune is atmospheric and relaxing. It felt like it needed some midrange keyboard to help bring out some of the lower end.
I agree with the intro, thought that as well. I will look at alternatives, but I agree.

It really dense - everything is walking on everything - throwback song - pretty cool though.
Yes, it is dense. The feel I am going for is night, driving with just the headlights on, can everything feels so tight. I thought I gave everything the space it needed, but only its space. Pact tight was the intent.

Thanks for the listen.

Yes, it is dense. The feel I am going for is night, driving with just the headlights on, can everything feels so tight. I thought I gave everything the space it needed, but only its space. Pact tight was the intent.

Thanks for the listen.
I get what Papanate's talking about. Part of that's the arrangement - the string part is a bit overbusy sometimes, or maybe an octave too high - but if I had my paws on the mix mouse, the first thing I'd try is use less verb on the vocal to bring it forward and, more importantly, to contrast it with the wash of verb on everything else. The sonic separation of vocal and all the rest would be just like driving at night.

I had this on in the background. I like the way the strings sound. nice hooks.
I like the way it exits on almost the same foot it enters.
I think the vox might be a bit nasally.
vox get lost in places.
This is kind of like a meditation.
Bit of Allan Parsons in places.

Thanks everyone for the listen. This will help me a since I have not been real active in recording. Much appreciated.

Weird. Google said I 'need access' to listen
Thanks BH for the try. I took it down since I am reworking the song after the comments. I am going through the whole album now and reworking everything.

The nice thing with reworking the songs, they now have direction and it is easier to tighten things up since I know now where they are and correct, verses where they are going and change. If that makes sense?

Back