NGD-Les Paul Special copy

Anfontan

Banned by eurt
Les Paul Special copy
This is one of the guitars distributed by the GFS company-it's a XV-440 that is a nice Les Paul Special clone. Originally I had my eye on one of their Les Paul Jr. copies but when I saw the Special it changed my mind. The Junior would have had a single P-90 and the wrap-around tailpiece/bridge-I imagined that the intonation would be less than ideal...
The Special is similar to the Les Pauls from the late 1950s before they turned to the double cutaway body. It has 2 P-90 soapbar p'ups and a tuneomatic bridge with the stopbar tailpiece. It has a mahogney neck and body-set neck-and a nice maple veneer on the guitar top for a bit more high end.

The neck is thinner that my other Les Pauls, but it plays like butter. The strings on it were too light and of lousy quality-9s-after an hours playing time I had replaced them. After a string change it was a whole different guitar. And the bridge p'up was installed crooked and I had to reset it in the slot-another simple adjustment that greatly improved playability.

After these minor changes this is my favorite guitar these days, the 2 P-90 p'ups sound so fine in the middle position-and like any other P-90 they go from chimey to mayhem with a bit of gain and how you attack the strings.

It's a damned good guitar for low bucks!

Attachments

• Xaviere XV-440-body-2.jpg
    Xaviere XV-440-body-2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Xaviere XV-440-1.jpg
    Xaviere XV-440-1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 64
Sweet guit. I love P-90s, too, man. Nothing else has that nasty growl. I've got a set of GFS black soapbars just like that stashed away for a future project from when they went on sale for 22 bucks apiece a while back. I've been eying that same guitar for a while now, but I like the yellow one better -- I always thought their sunbursts looked a little heavy-handed. So is that flat on top like a jr, or is it carved?

Sweet axe, it's amazes me the quality of some cheaper guitars and basses. My favorite guitar is an Ibanez GAX70 double cutaway 2 hummers plays, sings and screams like a dream.

Sweet guit. I love P-90s, too, man. Nothing else has that nasty growl. I've got a set of GFS black soapbars just like that stashed away for a future project from when they went on sale for 22 bucks apiece a while back. I've been eying that same guitar for a while now, but I like the yellow one better -- I always thought their sunbursts looked a little heavy-handed. So is that flat on top like a jr, or is it carved?

Thanks Dan, P-90's are amazing pickups. I bought my Melody Maker with a single P-90 in the bridge position several years ago and saw the light when I cranked it up through a tube amp at a gig I played. WOW was all I could say...........

I would have liked one in TV yellow as well but there only sunbursts and black available-and I have plenty of black guitars, and it is a flat top like a Jr. but it has a belly cut on the back side.

Thanks for dropping by and the comments bassbrad. The cheaper guitars are no longer the clunky instruments they where back when I started playing in the early 1970's.

By the way, this is the guitar I used on the new Poetic Intensity song 'Live your dreams' for the guitar solo. He is quite an all around musician-Drums, Bass, Guitars & vocals on these tracks-give it a listen in the MP3 forum!!

Back