Newer than new newbie need your advice!

PoppedEye

Mike Love Hater
I am a musician who is ready to start recording music. I have no previous background in recording/mixing or producing music but I've been doing a lot of research on the net and have come up with 3 questions that I need answered before I buy anything.

1. For a recorder, I'm deciding between a tascam dx01fx and a zoom mrs802bcd. I'm leaning towards the zoom because of its drum machine and guitar/bass inputs. Is there anything I should know before making a final decision?

2. As for a mic, I would prefer one that’s good with both amp miking and vocals, but if that doesn't exist, are there two cheaply priced ($100 or less) mics I should look at?

3. I would like a keyboard that has a wide range of sounds (maybe has the ability to download new sounds?) and also has some midi controller capabilities. Anything in the $100-$300 range like that?

That’s about it. Anything I'm missing? Let me know please. Thanks in advance to anyone who gives me their two cents. This is the first time I've thought seriously about recording my songs and need any and all input I can get!

PoppedEye

1.- I've not used either unit but tascam has the better rep in the multitrack world.

2. If you're after 2 mics and you have $100 to spend on each then you couldn't go too far wrong with an SM-57 (dynamic, $90) and a Studio projects B1 (condensor, $99).

3. I know nothing about keys. :o

Back