Newbie with room set up

Juggernaut

Newbie needs help with room set up

Hello all, I've finnaly bit the bullet purchased some mics and an interface to record my self and some of my friends. I can find my way around the software and hardware, but the whole room set-up and acoustics is baffuling me, even though I've been searching this forum and others for hours.

I've attached a diagram of my room, and any-thing within it can change, exept either the bed or the couch needs to stay (it is my bedroom). I would aprieciate any recomendations for my room, although right now building another wall in the room is out of the question.

I continue to be amazed at the wealth of knowlage at this site and I believe I have only scrached its surface.

Attachments

• room.JPG
    room.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Anyone, Anyone?
Beuler?

Btw the celings are 10 feet high.

If I didn't provide enough information to even lead me in the right direction just speak up.

Are there windows behind those curtains? What do you plan to record? can that desk be split in two and put side-by-side flat against a wall? How loud can you be? Can you modify walls?

I would personally give up the bed for more space.

I'll try and help if you can give some more info.

I continue to be amazed at the wealth of knowlage at this site and I believe I have only scrached its surface.
YUP. You have. :) Keep reading and you will see. BTW, research "703". It might be just yo ticket. Correct room layout and speaker placement with some 703 and you might just be amazed!
fitZ

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
YUP. You have. :) Keep reading and you will see. BTW, research "703". It might be just yo ticket. Correct room layout and speaker placement with some 703 and you might just be amazed!
fitZ

Will do thanks for the tip.

Yes, there are windows behind the curtains. The two on the back wall are french door style, while the one on the right hand side is a regular window.

I dont think I can do wall treatment because the walls arnt like most walls they are: cement, air, cement held up by mesh, more air, then cement for the wall to the next room. The three outside walls also have cypress wood on covering the outside of the house.

the desk can not be split, but Im planning on buying a new one and was heavily considering a flat desk.

The bands I'm planning on recording are mainly rock (live drums, electric guitar, bass) also I'm looking into someone who does acoustic guitar and vocals.

Equiptment consists of a Digi002, pair of Oktava MC-012s, Baby Bottle, AKG D-112, and a good ol' sm57. For monitors I have a pair of Def Techs.

-thanks for you help.

dont think I can do wall treatment because the walls arnt like most walls they are: cement, air, cement held up by mesh, more air, then cement for the wall to the next room. The three outside walls also have cypress wood on covering the outside of the house.

Well then. What can we say? You've negated most of the suggestions. And frankly, I haven't a clue what you mean by the statement above. Lightweight panels of 703 are easy to hang, do wonders for small rooms, and are the best investment you can make on a limited budget for a shitty non changeable room. So, what else are your choices....hmmmm? :rolleyes: If you can't apply treatment, and you can't move things around, and you can't alter the room..well, I guess you are stuck huh? :confused:

Equiptment consists of a Digi002, pair of Oktava MC-012s, Baby Bottle, AKG D-112, and a good ol' sm57. For monitors I have a pair of Def Techs.
So what. Even with a neuman and a studer, it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference untill you decide which is more important.
fitZ

Well then. What can we say? You've negated most of the suggestions. And frankly, I haven't a clue what you mean by the statement above.

woops, I thought that by wall treatment it was infering ripping down the walls and rebuilding them. :rolleyes:

Well if you ment hanging those pannels that seems feasible, once in the budget. Now would the best thing to do would be to search on where to place these 703 pannels?

Any suggestions on any furnature placement changes that can be done imediatly, such as getting a flat desk and putting it up against one wall?

Thanks for the help even though my questions are very noobish. :p

woops, I thought that by wall treatment it was infering ripping down the walls and rebuilding them.
Not at all, although that could be part of it too if it were a necessity. But if you can't do it, you can't do it. Like most people here, we do with what we can do, and what we have. So what. The point with Homerecording is do the best you can with what you have and most of all.....HAVE FUN!!! Thats the real point. Most people seem to forget that around here. :p Sure, learning to record, learning about your room and acoustics, and learning recording techniques is important. But damn, if you ain't havin fun doin it, might as well go get a job as an engineer at some other studio!! Ha.

Well if you ment hanging those pannels that seems feasible, once in the budget. Now would the best thing to do would be to search on where to place these 703 pannels?
Yup. You got it :D Theres TONS of threads on this. But first, lets get your room in order. I'm outa time right now, but I'll be back.

fitZ :)

Back