Newbie needs some help

extendedping

Hi all...In my quest to get some recording done I have purchased the firepod which has cubase le, the BFD drumming software, monitor speakers and a Boss 880 dr rhythm (for guitar practice but also for drum input?). I have a laptop with pretty good specs (3.2 processor 2 gig ram) and an external 160 gig hard drive (as yet untouched). Oh also I have the upgrade to cubase xl. Being new to this I wan't to set it all up right the first time. so.....how would you experts do this? install the bfd and cubase on the computer drive and then put all recordings on the external 160? or some other combo? my laptop has a 50 gig drive with 23 gig free (and the bfd on it taking up 9 gigs...thanks in advance..................

Yes, you will most likely want to put the programs on the C drive of your laptop and use the external (hopefully firewaire or USB 2.0) drive for the files.

THere is a page around that has some settings for tweaking your system for audio recording (turning off indexing on the hard drive, turning off a lot of the "auto" function of windows, like updates, sychronizing the time off the internet, that sort of thing). i reply with a link in a moment.

Also, if you are already using 20+ gigs of space on that laptop drive, you might want to see about cleaning up that system if you have things there you don't need. Lot sof extra programs and their little background program they migh launch can eat up memory etc.

Defrage both drives fairly often.

Hope that helps,
Daav

thanks dave so use the 160 external (firewire) only for the actual recording files....so...the firepod to the laptop via firewire...the hd to the laptop via firewire correct? I am not somehow passing the hd through the firepod to the laptop correct? silly but I just want to make sure.....

Agrr I just found out my laptop only has the one firewire connection which I am using to connect to cubase...is usb fast enought to do good recording onto the external drive????????????????

Yes...

USB 2.0 is plenty fast enough to do recording on the external drive....actually better than daisy-chaining another Firewire drive along with the Firepod. It will obviously also help if your external drive is at least a 7200 RPM model as well.

Jay

Back