Newbie - looking for a vocal mic setup

Vypr

I have been search dem interwebz for a my first stand-alone microphone.
I want a High Quality microphone that doesn't pick up near by sounds (PC fans, people entering room, breathing).
It would also be a plus if there was some sort of mute button that is easily accessible.

I would be using it in VoIP live chats, just want a HQ voice.
In the future I may use it for video recordings/commentary.

Budget: 300 dollars
Boom/stand & shockmount would be a plus

Is the $300 just for the mic or do you have additional money for an interface(takes the mics analog signal and converts it to USB to get it into the computer) and possible room treatment?

The mic will likely need to be pretty much directly in front of you, maybe 6"-10". This will reduce picking up extraneous room sounds. Will that present a problem?

Mute switch... haven't seen too many mics equipped with one except for vocal stage mics.

I have 300 - 350 total for the setup. I could have the mic close to my face as long as I have a stand. I have triple monitors so the stand wouldn't be able to obstruct my vision.

Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone

For spoken word, would be difficult to beat the Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone. This is both XLR and USB, is Dynamic, and is less than $60!
Add a boom arm, or stand, run it into your computer, mixer, or standalone recorder and you are set. Add some old blankets for sound deadening, remove all possible external noises, and give it a go.

Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone: Musical Instruments

I have been search dem interwebz for a my first stand-alone microphone.
I want a High Quality microphone that doesn't pick up near by sounds (PC fans, people entering room, breathing).
It would also be a plus if there was some sort of mute button that is easily accessible.

I would be using it in VoIP live chats, just want a HQ voice.
In the future I may use it for video recordings/commentary.

Budget: 300 dollars
Boom/stand & shockmount would be a plus

Me - I'd suggest a different approach that offers more facilities and opportunities.
Behringer Xenyx X1204 USB Mixer - this handles the in and out of your computer, and allows you to connect other things - like maybe CD players and extra mics?
I'd also select a cheap condenser - possibly Behringer, Rode or Samson like a C01. Add a pair of headphones for monitoring and away you go.

If you're not worried about looks, then a cheap duvet supported on a boom stand helps tame the sound a little, and another boom stand to hold the mic. You should easily get all this for your budget, but don't forget that avoiding your computer's noisy bits is just placement, and not something magical the mic does. Aim towards the mouth, making sure the noisy stuff is in the mic's null. The headphones work well for this allowing you to hear what is recorded!

Still not set on any of the mentioned microphones, also I'd like to add I want the microphone to make my voice sound warmer/deep/artificial.

Back