Newbie looking at a BR1600 tomorrow? Yes or No

JFoshee

Hello to everyone. I would like to try my hand at recording. I have some PA equipment but nothing that will work with a CPU so I ordered a Behringer QX1202USB. It was scheduled to arrive next Saturday, but after reading on this forum I contacted Amazon to heave it returned. Anyway, I am going tomorrow to look at a Boss BR-1600CD. I have watched approx. 2 hrs of video about this and I believe it will do what I want, at least for a beginner. The guy is at $300. It was bought new 2 yrs ago. After reading about the Behringer mixer ($180) I have to believe my money is better spent on the Boss. It is a little more than I wanted to spend, but if I decide to sell it, surley it would have a better resale value. Does anyone have any thoughts on this purchase? Or horror stories on the Boss 1600?
This is a great forum. I have already done alot of research here. I will likely be posting often. Thanks.

Hello to everyone. I would like to try my hand at recording. I have some PA equipment but nothing that will work with a CPU so I ordered a Behringer QX1202USB. It was scheduled to arrive next Saturday, but after reading on this forum I contacted Amazon to heave it returned. Anyway, I am going tomorrow to look at a Boss BR-1600CD. I have watched approx. 2 hrs of video about this and I believe it will do what I want, at least for a beginner. The guy is at $300. It was bought new 2 yrs ago. After reading about the Behringer mixer ($180) I have to believe my money is better spent on the Boss. It is a little more than I wanted to spend, but if I decide to sell it, surley it would have a better resale value. Does anyone have any thoughts on this purchase? Or horror stories on the Boss 1600?
This is a great forum. I have already done alot of research here. I will likely be posting often. Thanks.

I must ask what it is about the 'stand alone' recorder that you want? Do you have a decent computer? Why limit yourself to the BR-1600?

Still not sure

I must ask what it is about the 'stand alone' recorder that you want? Do you have a decent computer? Why limit yourself to the BR-1600?

You are correct. I have watched several video's on youtube about the the BR-1600 and have realized that while it would be much better than the Behringer product I had origionally started with, scrolling through all of the screens on the interface would be intensive to learn. I am somewhat familier with Adobe premier elements video producs and software similar to that format would be much easier to learn. Would the BR-1600 not be a good interface for a CPU software program? At this point I have really not even looked at the software available, except Garageband on my wife's computer:). I have read several posts on this forum about one product or the other for beginners, but at this time my budget is very, very low. I thought $300 sounded OK for what I was getting. I am open for suggestions on other things to look for but need specifics. My goal for now is to record some of my own music. I play with 3 other guys, and if I could record us + our instruments that would be grand. I need at least a couple of tracks to record on.

OK A possibility for sure. But mor echannels would be nice. I still don't understand if the BR-1600 would be a good analog/Digital interface if I decided to purchase some recording software and use my laptop???

No.

2 channel interface. Reaper.

Your initial question is sort of like... "I'm going to walk from North Mississippi to the southernmost tip of South America as a personal challenge. In preparation should I chop my left foot off, or do the whole walk naked?"

And we'll all be telling you... "Neither. Buy some shoes..." YMMV.;)

I have been doing alot of reading this morning about the need for a mixer. I have almost completely talked myself out of the BR-1600. Homestudioguy suggested a nice bundle for a decent price, but what if I wanted a few more channels? I have been looking at Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 | Sweetwater.com this. It advertised 16 inputs. There is obviously no way to connect 16 mics or instruments to this box. So what am I missing? Any other suggestions on an interface? BTW I realize this interface is a firewire. I need to check my wife's MAC to make sure it has one. This set up my not even be on the table.

Firewire not compatiable it will have to be USB. Also, YOUTUBE answered the question about the 16 inputs.

Last edited:
how many mic pre's do you need is the first thing you need to know, are you going to record drums how many mics will you use for that.... is two pre's all you need? there are some 8 mic pre units like focusrite 18i20. two pre's like 2i2 and ad midi in/out 2i4.

I ahte to sound like a broken record, but based on reviews and my own experience, I've been very happy with the Tascam 1800. 8 mic pres, two instrument inputs with gain (not sure if that is considered a pre) and 4 line level in the rear, then SPDIF(in/out). They are going for about $250-270 with the Tascam rebate. Add to that Reaper (if you want to go that route), you are ready with the basics if you have a computer for around $310ish.

Not saying the other interfaces are not good, but you get a lot of miles out of the Tascam and I use it on both a Win7 and 8 machines with no issues.

Hey, if you still haven't made a purchase, I've got a Tascam FW1804 for sale... 2U rackmount firewire interface - if you have that option - with 8 mic pres. It's been great, I just upgraded to a Focusrite unit.

I would like to try my hand at recording.
I believe it will do what I want, at least for a beginner.
I stand alone for standalones. I still recommend them for people that are just starting out, a good learning tool, if you like. The computer and interface system is the one that carries more scope but you can make decent recordings on anything ~ once you've learned how to make decent recordings.
I guess standalones are like one's first car. You can still fly up to Scotland at 90Mph in an old banger......

Back